Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at convertible slings

Feedback Score

Looking at convertible slings

I’m looking at the Magpul MS4 QDM, HSP D3, BFG Vickers 221, and Savvy Quad dual QD MS sling. I know it’s more expensive, I’m leaning towards the Savvy. I like the hardware upgrade options, I’m thinking Cobra buckle and all metal hardware. I like that they’ll do custom sizing, I’m a big boy. I’m also thinking I may like the bungee option. What do you use and what are your opinions?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not a big fan of single points, so not much help on the convertibles.

The point that I'd make on the Savvy Quad is that the Cobra buckles are designed not to let loose under load. So if your idea in purchasing that sling is to be able to unattach yourself from the rifle if you get hung up, ot to let someone have it so you can shoot them with something else, the Cobra may may be your best bet.

Don't know what you are going for, just thought I'd point that out about the Cobra buckles, I have a couple of Cobra belts and I like them, they won't open under load.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have used the MS4 and HSP slings. I prefer the HSP of the two. MS4 is bulkier and I find the retention slide to be harder to manage then the HSP sling. I rarely used either in the 1 pt conversion as I prefer a 2 pt adj sling. My use for the sling has been range work, classes and hiking/hunting with the rifle slung. I'm no longer using the HSP and prefer the Ferro Slingster or BFG VCAS slings.

NC
    Last edited by nightchief; 03-10-18 at 20:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Not a big fan of single points, so not much help on the convertibles.

The point that I'd make on the Savvy Quad is that the Cobra buckles are designed not to let loose under load. So if your idea in purchasing that sling is to be able to unattach yourself from the rifle if you get hung up, ot to let someone have it so you can shoot them with something else, the Cobra may may be your best bet.

Don't know what you are going for, just thought I'd point that out about the Cobra buckles, I have a couple of Cobra belts and I like them, they won't open under load.
    Good point on the Cobra buckle! I have and wear a 5.11 Tactical Trainer belt as part of my EDC. I thought about getting another similar style belt with the Cobra buckle. They do look nice! Maybe I’ll get and try out a belt with the Cobra buckle before making a decision on a sling with one, in that position. Savvy does customize, I could always have them do it with, without, or with a different style buckle?

I really liked the monuverability of the one point sling after using it, I also like the way a two point carries. I like the idea that a convertible can play either role without having two slings.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    I have used the MS4 and HSP slings. I prefer the HSP of the two. MS4 is bulkier and I find the retention slide to be harder to manage then the HSP sling. I rarely used either in the 1 pt conversion as I prefer a 2 pt adj sling. My use for the sling has been range work, classes and hiking/hunting with the rifle slung. I'm no longer using the HSP and prefer the Ferro Slingster or BFG VCAS slings.

NC
    Thanks for your opinion on the MS4 and D3!

Feedback Score
    I run an ms4, seems to work well...

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Call/email Blue Force Gear, let them VCAS you to suit your specific “needs”.
    There are more good slings out there for sure, VCAS has just been a very dependable staple...

BTW, a search will offer hours of reading on the topic, and may just save you some money.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Blue force gear
    Good gear
    Great customer service
    I've used convertible slings and found too gimmicky
    Two points with quick adjustable is better

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt45648 View Post
    I run an ms4, seems to work well...
    Thanks for your opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    Call/email Blue Force Gear, let them VCAS you to suit your specific “needs”.
    There are more good slings out there for sure, VCAS has just been a very dependable staple...

BTW, a search will offer hours of reading on the topic, and may just save you some money.
    I've actually been running a BFG VCAS with dual QD's for a couple years and like it. After using my buddies single point I just thought having something similar but with dual functionality might be even better.

Note taken!

Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    Blue force gear
    Good gear
    Great customer service
    I've used convertible slings and found too gimmicky
    Two points with quick adjustable is better
    Yes, it is! Thanks for your opinion!

Feedback Score
    I used to run an MS4, but have since switched to BFG VCAS exclusively.

If I were doing a convertible, the Haley Strategic D3 sling has the specific feature that I need to sling to have in order to have single point work well enough: a tail of significant length on the rear-connecting section of the sling, set above the 2-to-1 connecting joint. The MS4 has too small a piece of sling between the joint and the rear QD, which leaves me not enough room to maneuver the weapon easily shoulder to shoulder, especially if I am wearing armor, which is the chief advantage of a single point to begin with...

I've considered cutting out that piece and replacing it with a longer section of sling... Or just buying the Haley D3.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 03-14-18 at 13:54. Reason: detail, clarity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast