Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading after dry fire

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score

Reloading after dry fire

I do dry fire several times a week with my G 19. When reloading after I finish dry fire is it best to chamber the same round from the magazine or put the round in the chamber and then drop the slide. I heard putting the round in the chamber and dropping the slide is hard on the extractor. And by the same token constantly reloading the same round from the magazine is hard on the round. I keep two mags loaded with carry ammo and alternate them.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Throw the round that's been extracted in the trash.

Reuse that same round after muliple exits and entries, and you'll be in for a surpsrise.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Reloading it a couple of times isn't a big deal IMO - or at least it isn't to me in 25 years of shooting.

In my younger days I reloaded the same round untold numbers of times and was ok.

These days I usually replace the chambered round once a month, since it has been loaded 3-4 times more than likely.

And I don't throw them away, I just save them up and shoot them at the range.

But maybe I'm missed some scientific data that shows I'm all ****ed up.

Feedback Score
    Depends on how you chamber the first round in the magazine. I always chamber it rather gently, but make sure that it goes into the chamber and is under control of the extractor.

So I reuse it. Maybe rotated in a diff position in the mag.

Sometimes I would put the chambered round between two new ones and place a flat edge over them to compare lengths and make sure there is no set back.

Or you can just toss the chambered round or use it as range ammo to save yourself all the hassle.

This is another reason why I like having a seperate carry gun and a practice gun. My carry guns rarely gets unloaded and stays in the holster ready to go.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Im with Rhino. You can get projectile pushback in a handgun after numerous reloads. My routine is after about 3-4 re chambers GSA of same round, it gets put deep in the mag It starts with the last round in mag and then works its way up
    I change my ammo out yearly unless there has been a dunking or other enviro issue. Older ammo gets used up a range

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Let me try to explain why you don't want to drop the slide on a chambered round.

When your pistol chambers a round from the magazine, the bottom of the slide picks up the round and pushes it out of the magazine and up the feed ramp. As it does so the case rim slides under the extractor. Unlike the extractor on the M4/AR, the extractor on a pistol is not designed to snap over the case head. So when you drop the slide on the chambered round, you are applying the stress of that impact to the extractor in a manner beyond it's primary function.

Additionally, you are impacting the same area of the case head on which the extractor is going to be pulling as it pulls the case from the chamber. It is unlikely that you would weaken the case head sufficiently enough to fail, but why take chances?

When you practice remediating fail to extracts you are, once again, making the extractor do something it wasn't designed to do, make sure you always inspect the extractor after you are done practicing.

As for repeatedly chambering the same round, my concern was that constant handling would get the oils and acids from my fingers onto the primer and from there eventually deaden the primer.

If your pistol is stored loaded, and only unloaded to dry-fire, simply place the ejected round back into the mag and reload it into the chamber as often as you are comfortable doing so - at a rate of drying firing 3 times a week I would ditch the round at the first of each month. When I was unloading my duty pistol daily, the round I had loaded over and over went into the cup on my dresser every two weeks.

When I was carrying a revolver, I shot my speed loaders empty at least once a month.

I was probably overly cautious in this regard because of my experience with military shotgun ammo that would routinely fail to fire after being rotated each month out of our guard force shotguns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If we're talking about departmentally issued duty ammo, throwing a round away each & every time you remove said round from the chamber will not endear one to admin folks. With pistol ammo,are there any potential problems other than bullet set-back or deformation? I check for that, and re-chamber rounds that look OK. Am I missing something?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kastl View Post
    If we're talking about departmentally issued duty ammo, throwing a round away each & every time you remove said round from the chamber will not endear one to admin folks. With pistol ammo,are there any potential problems other than bullet set-back or deformation? I check for that, and re-chamber rounds that look OK. Am I missing something?
    As far as I know, that's it.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Here's a little science experiment that should cost between $0.15-$1.00

Take a semiautomatic handgun.

Insert one round of your choosing into an empty magazine.

Cycle the action to chamber the round.

Cycle the action to remove the round.

Repeat as many times as you feel necessary. Strive for the OP's, "several times a week." We'll use five as a number, so repeat this process 20 times to simulate a month's worth of activity.

After 20 extractions, let me know how the rim of that brass looks...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeaaaah listen to 26 inf.

Otherwise, I take a red sharpie to the rear and cycle my ammo in the mags. Once all are red, they don't ever get rechambered until they are to be shot.

That has been my system for years.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast