Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reloading after dry fire

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Yeaaaah listen to 26 inf.

Otherwise, I take a red sharpie to the rear and cycle my ammo in the mags. Once all are red, they don't ever get rechambered until they are to be shot.

That has been my system for years.
    good idea

ETA: I just realized how that could be read, I was talking about what you said, not listening to me.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 12-18-17 at 22:12.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Here's a little science experiment that should cost between $0.15-$1.00

Take a semiautomatic handgun.

Insert one round of your choosing into an empty magazine.

Cycle the action to chamber the round.

Cycle the action to remove the round.

Repeat as many times as you feel necessary. Strive for the OP's, "several times a week." We'll use five as a number, so repeat this process 20 times to simulate a month's worth of activity.

After 20 extractions, let me know how the rim of that brass looks...
    Can you quantify it any further?

Because you seemed to imply a single time and it should be discarded, now you are saying 20. What do you do, 1, 5, 10, 20?

I get that the rim wears, that is pretty intuitive. Bullet setback? Sure, you should watch for it.

Still I have yet to see anything substantive that a 'surprise' will happen. And in the late 90s I was using my P220 45 pretty often and having spent my pennies buying a sweet German made SIG the day I turned 21 (that to this day has never malfunctioned, regardless of the shit I have fed it), I was pretty poor.

So after buying a 20 round box of the Speer "flying ashtrays", I spent the rest of my $$$ on range ammo. I shot 5 rounds of the Speer, then loaded up my 2 magazines and kept the weapon loaded +1 for several years - while I cycled through the ammo, that weapon, magazines, and ammo was downloaded and uploaded at least once a week for a year straight, sometimes more - since I only had the 2 mags that came with it, I would have to unload it before practicing, the reload it.

I know the ammo was looking pretty ragged out several years later when I finally decided it was a good idea to buy some new stuff. But I loaded up all 15 rounds and the all went bang, with zero surprises.

Do I offer that as "something to do"? Hell no, but a single chambering is ridiculous - 5 is very conservative and still plenty safe IMO. Being attentive for bullet setback and having a 'method to your madness' is also a key to success - like shooting your carry ammo every so often - I do a magazine every 3 month typically - which will keep fresh ammo moving into your duty magazines.

At least that is my method and opinion. If presented with some factual data, I would certainly look to see if I need to change something.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I used to set aside rounds that have been chambered. When the total number of rounds hit 10 or so I would shoot them in my carry pistol. It does mean you will go through some carry ammo, but that is not really a bad thing.

Never thought about folks who are PD who need to account for each round. Maybe save the ammo for quals? Can you do that?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kastl View Post
    If we're talking about departmentally issued duty ammo....
    Lol
    You guys would shat your pants if you saw some of ammo I see being used in duty weapons that have been rechambered endless times.

My .02
    rotate the ammo, or use a different gun for dry firing. Rechambering a few times won't be the end of the world if you are using quality ammo with proper neck tension.

Don't drop the slide on a chambered round, doing it once or twice won't kill your glock ( yes I've done it, everyone has ), but I would suggest to avoid it.

If you shoot a lot, replace parts on your gun, and replace your carry ammo. I mean, if one is shooting 300$ worth of ammo every month or two, it seems silly to not replace your carry ammo, but for some reason many of us cosider 20$ worth of carry ammo to be more valuble than the hundreds of dollars worth of plinking ammo we burn through every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post

Never thought about folks who are PD who need to account for each round. Maybe save the ammo for quals? Can you do that?
    It is probably different for every department but...

For quals, they will give us ammo to qual with, we don't take it home or bring our own, or one will get a nice slap on the wrist. Actually, some guys have got fired over that.
    Carry ammo, every bullet must be accounted for. I remember a guy lost 1 bullet once from downloading or whatever, and I think he got more than just a slap on the wrist.

But shoot, my buddy who works for a different department, they are much more ''chill'' about things. I remember him and I went varmint hunting once, and he was using some hornady tap that his department gave him to practice with lol.

I'm not a fan of rechambering or even messing with duty guns that are loaded. I prefer to leave it loaded and holstered, maybe do a press check once in a while. If you have to rechamber the round... I like to take the round that was chambered, and put it 3-4 rounds down in the magazine, then chamber a fresh round from the mag.
    I think most accidents happen when guys are fiddling around with their guns.

Feedback Score
    Luckily G19 are cheap enough that you can have one for carry, and another for practice.

Every time you extract a cartridge, mark the base with a Sharpie, from primer to edge. After you've made an X, replace that cartridge.

The two potential problems are bullet setback and chewed case rim.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    This. I've not experienced bullet setback personally; nor do I want to.

Regarding gnarled rims, I have reused ammo that had been removed from the weapon, only for the extraction process to chew up the brass enough where, when under the violent cycling of the action under live fire, the case rim had enough deformation that the extractor ripped right through it. The eventual result is either a stuck case or a double-feed. Beyond that, you're also inducing deformation of the bullet's jacket, which damn sure isn't going to help you win any accuracy contests.

Attachment 49312

That is 20 loading and unloadings.

If you're doing this with carry ammo, you need to decide if your life is worth the $0.75-$1.00 It costs to replace the ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by hopetonbrown View Post
    Luckily G19 are cheap enough that you can have one for carry, and another for practice.

Every time you extract a cartridge, mark the base with a Sharpie, from primer to edge. After you've made an X, replace that cartridge.

The two potential problems are bullet setback and chewed case rim.

Feedback Score
    I rechamber it twice then it gets set aside for range use.
    It keeps good rounds available for carry and cycles my carry rounds on a regular basis, which needs done anyways.

If your carrying the same ammo for 5 years, you probably shouldn’t.

If I’m heavy into dry firing, I might even leave the gun unchambered and carry a different one so I don’t go through a mag in a week.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Slightly off topic since this the handgun section, but do these "rules of thumb" apply to a chambered AR round in the same manner?

NC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Slightly off topic since this the handgun section, but do these "rules of thumb" apply to a chambered AR round in the same manner?

NC
    I think even more so.

The free floating firing pin will leave a witness signature on the primer when the round is chamber by letting the bolt go home from a locked back position, or by running the action properly. There has been much discussion about the likelihood of either deadening the primer, or setting the round off after repeated impact. Based on that the general rule with LE agencies that have legit rifle programs is to turn the chambered/unchambered round in.

In addition to that the case gets pretty bunged up, pretty quickly with the extractor snapping over the case rim, and the bolt rotating as it locks into battery, and then rotating as it unlocks.

If I'm using training ammo and don't shoot the last mag empty, I don't have a problem putting that round back into a mag, but I would generally no do that with carry ammo.

JMO
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 12-18-17 at 22:48.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I think even more so.

The free floating firing pin will leave a witness signature on the primer when the round is chamber by letting the bolt go home from a locked back position, or by running the action properly. There has been much discussion about the likelihood of either deadening the primer, or setting the round off after repeated impact. Based on that the general rule with LE agencies that have legit rifle programs is to turn the chambered/unchambered round in.

In addition to that the case gets pretty bunged up, pretty quickly with the extractor snapping over the case rim, and the bolt rotating as it locks into battery, and then rotating as it unlocks.

If I'm using training ammo and don't shoot the last mag empty, I don't have a problem putting that round back into a mag, but I would generally no do that with carry ammo.

JMO

More good information. I think that eventually instinct takes over with any experienced shooter and you get a feel for when a round has potentially had enough, whether visually or figuratively.

In other words you naturally want the less beaten up rounds in line first just in case a well used one decided to act up, but not in an OCD sort of way.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast