Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reloading after dry fire

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I was just doing this last night. I put my chamber round back into the mag and ease it into battery with the slide to prevent damage to the round. Bullet set back was really an issue when I was a knuckle dragging 1911 carrier. Modern guns seem to have much better feed geometry. I used to drop it into the chamber, but learned that this was less than optimal for the extractor.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Just set the round in the range pile each week.
    A small number of loadings is not going cross the beams with it.

Every few months you will have a mag of your carry ammo to burn.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This thread just made me spend another 30 dollars on a box of 50: https://www.creedmoorsports.com/prod...tol-Ammunition

I love these. They're light, have had reliable ignition every time.

I also just remembered I am reaching 6-8 months with the set in my gun now.

Nonetheless, was free shipping weekend, and I am excited to test the rounds in my carry mags. I have been saving these cases, as I want to reload them. The difference of a full load of these versus a full load of brass is a world of difference for me.

On that topic, I have had to unload and reload a few times over the last year. Every time I do, I figure "Why take the chance." I toss the bullet into my dresser change drawer and count it as:

"Pouring One Out For Da Homies."

It's only 75 cents. Considering the whole magazine load is $7.50 or so, it's not bad and a worthwhile investment. It's for your life, right?

ETA: And, hell, I practice with a box of carry ammo every few months. If you're following that routine, than saving the singles and changing them out for "Freshies" when you get the training box is a worthwhile way to go. You still get to go pew pew with the ammo anyways, right?
    Last edited by HeruMew; 12-19-17 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Just set the round in the range pile each week.
    A small number of loadings is not going cross the beams with it.

Every few months you will have a mag of your carry ammo to burn.
    Not a bad idea either. I only pull my chamber round out like twice per year. I think I'm due for my annual pistol qual.

I confess... I literally shoot my pistol like once per year.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'll usually rotate that round down into my magazine so I'm not rechambering the same round more than 2 or 3 times. I mark the bottom of the case with a sharpie. Easy to keep track of that way.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    There was a case while back were a SWAT team had been using Hornady ammo and rechambering it in their ARs.

Time came for them to stack up, bust down the door, and take out a bad guy.

All 4 (?) of the guys moved into the house and came upon the bad gun with the gun and as they pulled the trigger got a "click" instead of a "bang". Thankfully the BG dropped his gun and all was well. The Floating AR pin deadened the rounds so they wouldn't fire.

I don't often chamber an AR round I don't intend to shoot but if I do and need to empty the weapon, it goes to the range use pile.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I carry two spare mags. My mags are labeled 1-3. If I unchamber a round, I mark it with a sharpie hash mark on the base. That round then becomes the bottom round in mag 3. I chamber a new round from the magazine when it’s time to load up again. When mag 3 fills up with once chambered rounds, I do the same with mag 2 then mag 1 (the mag in the gun). Everything then repeats with a second hash mark, etc. If a round has been chambered four times, it gets shot at the range. I shoot through all my carry ammo every year and load up fresh ammo even if the rounds had only been chambered once. I’ve never come close to chambering the same rounds four times because I have a training gun identical to my carry gun so I rarely have to unload my carry gun.

A year ago I sent an email to Speer asking their recommendations. The employee who replied to me said it was not recommended to chamber the same round more ham twice.

For ARs my standards are much less lax. If a round had been chambered once, I won’t use it in defensive mags anymore. It goes straight to the practice can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckusjuice View Post
    I carry two spare mags. My mags are labeled 1-3. If I unchamber a round, I mark it with a sharpie hash mark on the base. That round then becomes the bottom round in mag 3. I chamber a new round from the magazine when it’s time to load up again. When mag 3 fills up with once chambered rounds, I do the same with mag 2 then mag 1 (the mag in the gun). Everything then repeats with a second hash mark, etc. If a round has been chambered four times, it gets shot at the range.
    I'd be worried handling the rounds that often - it sounds like you are loading and unloading magazines a lot to always place the last chambered round in the bottom of the mag.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I'd be worried handling the rounds that often - it sounds like you are loading and unloading magazines a lot to always place the last chambered round in the bottom of the mag.
    I’ve never heard of loading/unloading magazines to damage the rounds. What would worry you about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Question: How deep in inches is the set back enough to cause a problem? For 9mm , and 9 mm +p?
    Last edited by OttoLoader; 12-19-17 at 18:31. Reason: Fix auto correct typo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast