Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Class setup..

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks Texan, just what I was looking for.
    Last edited by J-Dub; 12-24-17 at 00:14.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    Run your class setup exactly as you would run your loadout if you were to actually use it.

Use the class to shake out any issues with your serious setup and find the weaknesses/flaws and know what to change.

the velcroed inner/outer belt setups are pretty great
    I'll be running my duty setup (G35), however my backup will be my G23 thats my ccw/plain clothes gun. I need to get a simple setup just in case i need it (belt, kydex, etc)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    Run your class setup exactly as you would run your loadout if you were to actually use it.

Use the class to shake out any issues with your serious setup and find the weaknesses/flaws and know what to change.

the velcroed inner/outer belt setups are pretty great
    That's on point, to a point.

Shooting packages are a good way to shake out/validate your gear, but it's also good to just focus on the shooting sometimes. It's a balance.

For Pat's standard 2-day rifle/pistol, I'd lean towards simplicity and comfort. You'll do some reload drills, so you've got to have gear for that, but you may find a fully-loaded duty belt to be a distraction. You'll leave that class with a lot of good ideas for drills and practice on your own, and that's where I'd start adding in the duty gear and more. And for anything tactics-centric, then you've got to wear full kit.

Feedback Score
    37 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    I'll be running my duty setup (G35), however my backup will be my G23 thats my ccw/plain clothes gun. I need to get a simple setup just in case i need it (belt, kydex, etc)
    Run your ccw gear for the G23. The first class I took was Pats 2 years ago with my ccw gear, m&p 9mm compact, RCS holster and pistol mag carriers along with a single HSG rifle taco for a spare ar mag. I was real intimidated when I first got to the range because everyone was wearing plate carriers or chest rigs with battle belts. It became apparent early on that gear doesn't make the shooter and people would have been better served to have spent more money on ammo and range time to at least have their rifles zeroed. Just my 2 cents, use what you have. If you have a need/want for a battle belt and the like drive on by all means but I would suggest trying some of your friends or co workers gear out before spending your money. Its easy to get in very deep financially in gear that works but may not be perfect for you. Think about how many holsters you have tried till you got what you currently use.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I think this is a really good post.

Having been through one of Mac’s courses and several others now over the past 5+ years, your setup should match your goals for the course and your own experience level.

For me at this point, unless I’m training for something specific, when I do formal training I’m more focused on practicing basic skills and marksmanship and less worried about being geared up. Again, having good basic gear is important period but sometimes less is more. Having been through Mac’s class, if I was going again tomorrow, I’d still go the minimalist/comfort route. That’s just me.

Have fun. You’ll really enjoy Mac and the course.

Quote Originally Posted by specialk View Post
    That's on point, to a point.

Shooting packages are a good way to shake out/validate your gear, but it's also good to just focus on the shooting sometimes. It's a balance.

For Pat's standard 2-day rifle/pistol, I'd lean towards simplicity and comfort. You'll do some reload drills, so you've got to have gear for that, but you may find a fully-loaded duty belt to be a distraction. You'll leave that class with a lot of good ideas for drills and practice on your own, and that's where I'd start adding in the duty gear and more. And for anything tactics-centric, then you've got to wear full kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I ended up buying holster/mags holders from bravo conceament and an Ares ranger belt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.A.F.S. View Post
    ... I was real intimidated when I first got to the range because everyone was wearing plate carriers or chest rigs with battle belts. It became apparent early on that gear doesn't make the shooter and people would have been better served to have spent more money on ammo and range time to at least have their rifles zeroed. Just my 2 cents, use what you have....

The range and gun shows are some of the most dangerous and terrifying places I have been to in my life.

With just about everyone and groups of ladies of easy virtue in Daisy Duke's, if wearing anything at all, hitting, lasing and muzzle sweeping everyone, etc.

Depending on which part of your body you value most, I take the first or last stall, so at least one side of my body is protected!

You never know, just who is attending a class, etc., and in these times, etc. Unless I am mistaken, I doubt they wanted to look cool. If they were not training, the way they fight, i.e., suited up, etc.. Then the plate carriers and body armor, were probably worn for protection, and in my view, more important than any other items you take. It's also a classic instructor prank, etc., to ruin the set zero on all/some sights and optics, replace batteries with close to dead and dead ones, etc., when the students are told to exit the room, leaving all weapons, etc., behind....
    Last edited by desert; 01-03-18 at 18:11.

Feedback Score
    37 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by desert View Post
    The range and gun shows are some of the most dangerous and terrifying places I have been to in my life.

With just about everyone and groups of ladies of easy virtue in Daisy Duke's, if wearing anything at all, hitting, lasing and muzzle sweeping everyone, etc.

Depending on which part of your body you value most, I take the first or last stall, so at least one side of my body is protected!

You never know, just who is attending a class, etc., and in these times, etc. Unless I am mistaken, I doubt they wanted to look cool. If they were not training, the way they fight, i.e., suited up, etc.. Then the plate carriers and body armor, were probably worn for protection, and in my view, more important than any other items you take. It's also a classic instructor prank, etc., to ruin the set zero on all/some sights and optics, replace batteries with close to dead and dead ones, etc., when the students are told to exit the room, leaving all weapons, etc., behind....
    I can assure you Pat Mac was not f-ing with peoples rifles. If I ever attended a class where "the classic instructor prank"went down as you speak, it would be the last time i wasted my time and money with them.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.A.F.S. View Post
    I can assure you Pat Mac was not f-ing with peoples rifles. If I ever attended a class where "the classic instructor prank"went down as you speak, it would be the last time i wasted my time and money with them.
    Pat Mac is NOT a classic instructor.

He needs no pranks to test or otherwise entertain students.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Re: Prank, etc.

I don't know about Pat. Got this info from another training center. Some may consider it as a prank, but don't forget the "etc." part of it. Alleged, teaching students to adapt, etc.

Yes, someone fiddling with your gear, weapons, optics, etc., can be very dangerous. Just as real life can be very dangerous. Perhaps, it may be covered and hidden away in the policy waiver, etc., along with other terms and conditions, e.g., not touching (punching out, etc.) instructors...

In a real class, as any place else, you should be ready for anything.
    Last edited by desert; 01-04-18 at 16:16.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast