Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPR Inspired Build

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

SPR Inspired Build

I have been wanting to do an SPR style build for a while and a Knights stripped lower seemed like a good place to start. I was trying to do the build on a budget so a full SPR clone was out. Figured I would at least go with an A2 stock, pistol grip and standard trigger guard. I took my time picking stuff up in sales. The upper was one of those Arms Unlimited $30 camo Colt uppers finished with BCM parts. A while back AU were doing $50 Colt LPK's with no trigger and I had a spare QMS kicking around so I'm using that till I switch it out with a G2S. The A2 flash hider has already been replaced with an ASR mount to allow for suppressor use. My aim is to shoot mainly 75/77gr and attempt to stay at MOA from 100-600. We shall see! Full parts list:

Lower
    Knights Stripped Lower
    Colt LPK with ALG QMS trigger
    White Oak Armament A2 stock

Upper
    Colt stripper upper with BCM parts
    White Oak Armament SPR barrel, rifle gas, 1/7
    White Oak Armament BCG
    Radian Raptor LT Ambi CH
    Silencerco ASR flash hider
    Knights URX4 13" MLOK rail
    Magpul bipod mount, Harris bipod
    Vortex HSLR 4-16x MOA FFP
    ADM Recon Mount

This is the 5th AR I have built but the first time I installed a set screw gas block. WOA were great to deal with and dimple the barrel for you prior to shipping. I went back and forth on what barrel to get but these seem pretty well regarded and when they went on sale for $195 during Black Friday it was a no brainer. Was also the first time installing parts in a stripped upper but it was pretty straight forward. Work is busy this time of year but I managed to sneak an hour over the weekend to zero and shoot a couple of groups. I recently picked up some (cheap pulled) 77gr SMK's and had some ready to go with 23gr Varget and Rem #7-1/2 primers, loaded to 2.26 COAL. First few groups were around 1.25" and this one below was the best and last of the day. With the two stage installed and the barrel settling in over the next couple of hundred rounds, I'm pretty confident the groups will shrink a bit. Overall, I'm very happy with the build so far and look forward to pushing it to 600 and beyond.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks good. Nice compilation of parts. I built something similar a few years ago. It is more of a REECE type build. I do have a Mk12 Mod 0 clone as well.

Upper Receiver:

New Frontier Armory Billet Upper Receiver
    Compass Lake Engineering Recon 16.1" Douglas Stainless (polished) 1:8 twist barrel w/ mid-length gas system and .223 Wylde chamber
    Compass Lake Engineering Stainless Low Profile Gas Block (.750)
    Compass Lake Engineering Stainless Mid-length Gas Tube and Roll Pin
    WMD NiB-X M16 Bolt Carrier (polished) w/ Compass Lake Engineering Match bolt
    Advanced Armament Corp. Non-Mount Blackout Flash Hider
    BCM Gunfighter MOD 4 charging handle
    Midwest Industries SSM M-LOK Series One Piece Free Float Handguard, 15-inch Rifle (MI-SSM-15) (black)
    MAGPUL M-LOK Rail Panels (Stealth Grey and Black)
    MAGPUL MBUS Gen 2 Front & Rear Flip-up Sights (black)
    Harris Bipod BRM
    MAGPUL M-LOK Bipod Mount
    VORTEX VIPER PST 1-4x24 TMCQ MOA scope (w/ tactical turrets)
    VORTEX/American Defense RECON-X 30mm QD mount

Lower Receiver:
    C3 Defense Billet Lower Receiver
    GEISSELE Super Semi-Automatic (SSA) trigger
    KNS Precision Gen.2 Mod.2 Non-Rotation pins
    MAGPUL MOE Pistol Grip
    MAGPUL B.A.D Lever - Battery Assist Device
    MAGPUL Trigger Guard (black)
    MAGPUL CTR Stock - Mil-Spec (black)
    BCM Stock Mounting Kit (Mil-Spec) w/ "H" buffer
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Very nice Renegade. A Compass Lake Douglas was one of the barrels I considered. How does it shoot?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Very nice Renegade. A Compass Lake Douglas was one of the barrels I considered. How does it shoot?
    Shoots extremely well. The first time out, I was getting about .5MOA@100 yards with M193. I have yet to go past that distance as the range is only 100 yards. They will be expanding to 300 yards at some point. There is another range about 35 minutes from me that is 200 yards. There is another that is 1000 yards about an hour away, but I have yet to go there since it requires becoming a member or having a member with you.

Feedback Score
    Pretty impressive builds....

I’ll share mine....
    20” mid weight WOA 1:8 223 Wylde bbl
    Superlative has block
    Miculek comp
    Brownells MPI/HPT BCG headspace checked
    Geissle HiSpeed setup as match
    Spikes upper/lower
    Magpul PRS
    ERGO Tactical Deluxe Grip
    ALG V1 rail

Really like the way the parts came together.

With my XM193 duplicator reloads, it was 1.5-2.0” at 100 yds during break in....I could have cried!
    Put some thrown together Hdy 75 reloads
    and shot 0.9”@100 yds.....I guess I need to get serious about my loading! So, looking at Starline or Hornady Brass next to get it going.
    Last edited by nksmfamjp; 12-25-17 at 15:03.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    ^^^ Very nice.

I load with CBC brass that had from a case of 62gr a couple of years ago. With my 16" BCM SS410 barrel, I had good luck with Hornady 75gr and 69gr SMK's that was 1/8. 1/2 - 3/4 MOA was typical. I usually load Varget but have some XBR on hand to try also. I plan on picking up some H322 as well to give markm's load a try.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Great build! I wish I would have built my Precision AR with this barrel instead of the LaRue Stealth barrel. Look forward to hearing how it shoots at 600 yards!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Great build! I wish I would have built my Precision AR with this barrel instead of the LaRue Stealth barrel. Look forward to hearing how it shoots at 600 yards!
    I did a build a couple years ago with an 18" LaRue Tactical Stealth barrel that I won. At 100 yards, I have managed to put three rounds touching each other using M193 ammo.

Feedback Score
    @Vegas good choice on WOA barrel have the same in 1/8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swallisa View Post
    @Vegas good choice on WOA barrel have the same in 1/8
    Thanks Gents. Once I get a load dialed in after the holidays, will see what it can do. The range I go to has target frame holders every 100 out to 500 yards so will be able to see how it groups at distance easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast