Thread: 3X ACOG like optic for M&P 15-22

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

3X ACOG like optic for M&P 15-22

Anyone know of a 3X power ACOG type optic that could be used as a training understudy for someone running a Trijicon TA33 on their main rifle?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    There are many Chi-Com clones out there but I wouldn't be caught dead with one. Especially if the fake had Trijicon pasted on the side of it. I am a firm believer of training with your real rifle.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Many options. Vortex, Burris and Cabela's (store brand) all have fixed 3x prism sights in the $200-300 range. I suspect they all come from the same factory and share some parts. I owned the Vortex Spitfire 3x for a while and it was decent for the price. Optical quality was good, illumination was great, everything else was in line with expectations for a $300 Chinese optic.

Primary Arms has a line of prism sights including 2.5x models, one of which has a reticle specific to .22 rimfire. Athlon Optics has at least one prism sight option.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Paul Howe had good things to say about the Burris 3x in one of his monthly newsletters.

Feedback Score
    I have a Primary Arms 2.5x that has impressive glass for the cost. Heavier than comparable ACOGs.

Feedback Score
    Save for the ACOG, the best 3x scope I've tried so far is the Steiner. Surpasses Burris and Vortex by a wide margin in clarity, eyebox, and illumination. The mount is nice, too. I just wish tubular scopes with short eye relief didn't look so goofy on the ARs. That said, my Burris happens to be relegated to the M&P15-22. Works well enough.
    Last edited by stascom; 12-20-17 at 01:04.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Thanks guys!

That PA sight looks like it might be just the ticket with the horseshoe reticle.

While I would prefer to shoot my 6920 everywhere, I can't always do so, but pretty much anywhere that I can shoot guns, I can shoot my M&P 15-22.

I wanted to find something that had similar magnification (3X) and reticle (Horseshoe) of the TA33 that I am thinking about using. Previously I had used a M4s on my 6920 and a PA red dot on the .22 that worked pretty good as an understudy.

I have two competing options right now. I am either going with an Aimpoint T2 in a Scalarworks mount (6920)/Primary Arms RDS (.22)combo or a Trijicon TA33 red Horseshoe/something 3X'ish combo.

I have the T2 now and am waiting delivery of the TA33. Once I have them both and evaluate them on my 6920 and decide which I prefer and then buy the understudy optic for the 15-22.

I appreciate the info!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    My son’s 15-22 wears a Burris AR-332. It is a solid optic that won’t kill the wallet. I purchased a Steiner M332 and there is a noticeable difference in the glass but it is double the price.