Thread: Started using a new Complete Food Powder

Feedback Score

Started using a new Complete Food Powder

Huel calls its product "​nutritionally complete powdered food​ ​that contains all the protein, carbs, fats, vitamins and minerals your body needs​." I bought some just to try it out, and so far I haven't felt any adverse effects from consuming it for most of my breakfasts and lunches for the past week or so. I have no affiliation with the company.

Here's the nutritional info if interested. It has several key differences from the more popular Complete Food known as Soylent, which I used to consume but have since used up in favor of Huel.

Here is a comparison of Huel and Soylent.

The first time trying Huel, I'll admit I did not like the taste at all. It has a very oaty, sweet flavor that is overpowering if not enough water is added and it isn't chilled enough. I bought the vanilla flavor, so the unsweetened one probably has a more neutral flavor. However, after further attempts that included adding more water and letting it chill in the fridge overnight, Huel is very palatable. Now I gulp it down no problem, and it's only been about a week.

Some of the reasons I switched included the addition of very various phytonutrients from plant based sources, the lack of thickeners like maltodextrin, more fiber and less sugar than Soylent, more protein from more than one plant based source, and oats as a low-GI carb source. Also all ingredients are GMO-free, if you care about that (I could care less either way). Also, if you have an uneducated/irrational fear of soy, Huel doesn't have any of that either so you can rest easy knowing your masculinity is safe. So far I've been enjoying it, as long as I have a good Huel-to-water ratio and let it "stew" in the fridge for a few hours.

I'd recommend this powder for anyone struggling to find the time to consistently shop, prep, cook and clean well-rounded, nutritious meals every day, especially if you're trying to remove animal products from your diet. Complete Foods like this have significantly freed up my time to do other things with my life, and when I eat real food it's now even more enjoyable.

I know there's a lot of hate for food powders on this sub, so hopefully we can have a civil discussion that doesn't resort to condescending "I know better" rhetoric or non-evidence-based attacks. I'll do my part to keep the peace

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Huel is a far better formulated product than Soylent. The per serving cost is reasonable, and no reason one can't use it when/if time is short. I don't recommend any such product as a long term MRP, and if one has 3-5 extra mins, better nutrition and cost per serving will come from making your own MRP.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Huel is a far better formulated product than Soylent. The per serving cost is reasonable, and no reason one can't use it when/if time is short. I don't recommend any such product as a long term MRP, and if one has 3-5 extra mins, better nutrition and cost per serving will come from making your own MRP.
    Good stuff, thanks for the input. DIY ‘lents are gaining popularity.

Feedback Score
    Ballistic,

Thanks for the info. Looks like something I'm going to order when I am done with the powder I'm currently using.

Take care,

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    Ballistic,

Thanks for the info. Looks like something I'm going to order when I am done with the powder I'm currently using.

Take care,
    Awesome, happy to share!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    not impressed by their macros per 2000 calories.

But that is because it does not fit my needs, might work for others.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Damage View Post
    not impressed by their macros per 2000 calories.

But that is because it does not fit my needs, might work for others.
    What doesn’t impress you?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    What doesn’t impress you?
    Low Protein, High Complex Carbs