Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What axe are you folks using?

Feedback Score
    For general around the house splitting I use various old axes snagged from garage sales and restored. For camping, I bought a wetterlings Buddy.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Gransfors Brüks Small Forest Axe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I’m quite happy with my Gransfors Bruks small forest axe
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    So what is the 6920 / G19 of axes??

IE: if you had only one, too good of a value of a value not to get, etc.

Next reasonable step up from Chinese/orange box store

I'm seeing swedish made Husqvarna axes that look pretty decent. Not a GB, but supposedly made in one of the big name forges (HB? Wetterlings?). Rebadged h20?

I'm more of a saw guy, but have been using an esterlings hand axe quite a bit more doing trapping stuff, so I'm feeling like I might want to try a forest axe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    So what is the 6920 / G19 of axes??

IE: if you had only one, too good of a value of a value not to get, etc.

Next reasonable step up from Chinese/orange box store
    One may consider the Made in U.S.A. Council Tool Boy's Axe.
    In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, piss and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet. —Quintus Dias

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I use a Council Tool "Hudson Bay" axe, mostly for splitting kindling at the woodpile.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I think if you are using it for bushcraft than a small forest axe or small boys axe is the way to go.

If you live in a wooded area and you need to process wood and have them on the backburner incase the chainsaw goes down I think you need three - a felling axe (3.5 - 4.5 LB with a 32" handle), a boys axe for limbing and pounding in wedges (2 LB w/ 26" handle) and a house axe or large hatchet (1.5 LB with a 16 - 20" handle).

For the money the Husqvarna's are hard to beat. I prefer to get an old head off ebay or a flea market and rehang it. The steel of yesteryear is far better.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm pretty new to all of this and I've recently purchased a GB Scandinavian forest Ax. Over the last couple of months I've put it to pretty good use clearing hunting trails, felling small trees and limbing others. I've been looking at getting a larger ax in case my chain saw goes down or I don't feel like carrying it into the woods. I've held off though because the GB Scandinavian so darn versatile. I would consider this my G19 of axes. Fits the bill for most everything I do.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    All good info, thanks for the tips! Was unaware of the Council tools axes.

I've got the Husqvarnas available locally, so may do that so I can check grain, etc prior.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a Husqvarna multi-purpose in addition to various Gransfors and a Council Hudson Bay. My only issue with the Husqvarna is the haft is too chunky. Mine swings far better after I slimmed it down with a spoke shave. I would consider a Council 28" Hudson Bay or Gransfors Scandinavian Forest Axe the G19, the Council 36" Jersey or Gransfors American Felling Axe (or a good vintage axe) as the battle rifle, and my Gransfors Splitting Maul...is a Gustaf recoilless rifle.

Oh, and now that Snow & Nealley are back to forging and hanging in the U.S. their stuff is pretty good. Everyone at work got Penobscot Bay Axe with our command seal for Christmas and the craftsmanship is legit.
    Last edited by Tortuga; 05-11-18 at 21:54.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast