Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What axe are you folks using?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Great thread with a lot of good information. For some reason I wanted an axe for my birthday last year. Ended up with two, one being a double bladed axe. Not sure of the brands but I enjoy using both of them.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Awesome, thanks for the information, gents!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While I have no experience in chopping cords of wood and little chopping experience in general, I started to have an interest in axes/tomahawks/etc. This past Christmas, my future in-laws gave me one of the following:
    http://www.hbforge.com/polled-axes/medium-camp-axe

I had stumbled upon the H&B Forge on some online forum(maybe this one?) and bookmarked it thinking maybe someday I would purchase one. I don't know if its anywhere on the same level as the ones you guys are discussing but its my new addition to my hiking pack and will come along on camping trips.
    Last edited by TxRaptor; 01-04-18 at 18:40.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I found a great field sharpening alternative to expensive Gransfors sharpening pucks. Google "japanese axe puck" and there's youtube tutorials.

The BLUF is: Buy a $20 King 250/1000 dual grit japanese wetstone and cut into four pucks. Great field sharpener for $5.

I made up a bunch and gave them to co-workers for Christmas, everyone loves them.

Feedback Score
    There's what one can consider "boutique" Axes from Northmen Guild and Autine. I did have (when it was John Neeman Tools) the Northlander Forest Axe "Stalwart I" which I now regret selling it off. . .

Then there are the Racing Axes from the likes of Brute Forge Axes and Tuatahi Axes. That's a whole other set of striking edged tools I don't mind having, but realistically have no use for.
    In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, piss and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet. —Quintus Dias

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
    I found a great field sharpening alternative to expensive Gransfors sharpening pucks. Google "japanese axe puck" and there's youtube tutorials.

The BLUF is: Buy a $20 King 250/1000 dual grit japanese wetstone and cut into four pucks. Great field sharpener for $5.

I made up a bunch and gave them to co-workers for Christmas, everyone loves them.
    That's a great idea, and small enough to take into the field for squad gear.

Feedback Score
    While not a field sharpener, I've used the Work Sharp Sharpener for a quick touch up on the edges.
    In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, piss and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet. —Quintus Dias

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I sharpen mine with this special tool called any-old-file-wot's-handy.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Good read on Swedish axe models if you care - http://www.ramblinjim.com/articles/s...-alternatives/
    Really good information. I picked up a Husqvarna carpenters axe. It is much better quality than the axe I would have bought before coming across this thread. Thanks

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post

That's what I did as well. Works like a champ.

I might have an axe problem.
    axes.jpg

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast