Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New ammo from Tula?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

New ammo from Tula?

Never thought I'd start a Tula thread, but here goes...

Has anyone else seen the new .223 they've released? It's still steel case, but they're loading "range friendly" non-steel projectiles. Generally, I don't shoot steel cased ammo. Not because of the case, but because of the bi-metal bullets. While the severity might be overstated, they do wear barrels faster.

They're priced just over $200 for 1,000 rounds. Even with the rock bottom prices on brass, that's a considerable savings for range/plinking ammo. Unfortunately, for a few reasons, Tula's pretty much seen as the worst ammo out there. Still, I might pick some up to see if they're worth a more serious look.

Just figured it was worth checking to see if anyone's had a chance to try them out.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I went to Tula's website, but all I saw was their promotion of their zinc line. The way they worded it, I wasn't sure if it was bi-metal but just using zinc instead of copper. Can you provided a link to the "range friendly" ammo? This would be a big deal here in Calif. No range that I'm aware of here in Calif allows bi-metal because of the possibility of fires. On a personal level, I stayed away from bi-metal, right or wrong, I didn't like the idea of steel in my barrel, plus I couldn't really shoot it anywhere except the desert.

Feedback Score
    Sorry. I'd done the same and didn't see it on their website. Although, it looked like they weren't too ambitious with timely site updates

Only place I've seen the ammo so far is LAX Ammo...

https://www.laxammo.com/tulammo-223-...jectile-detail

Like you, I've opted to stay away from ammo like Tula because I'm not keen on throwing steel projos down my barrels. Range restrictions where I live are not much of a concern. So, hopefully this helps my friends trapped behind enemy lines.

Let me know if you're able to find any more info.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does it comes with more powder in the case and in more consistent quantities than their normal 55gr craptastic ammo?
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Does it comes with more powder in the case and in more consistent quantities than their normal 55gr craptastic ammo?
    Probably the only way to find out is to pulled down a few and measure the charge. I don't think I ever chrono'd any Tula. Were the velocities all over the place?

Feedback Score
    That was my thought as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Probably the only way to find out is to pulled down a few and measure the charge. I don't think I ever chrono'd any Tula. Were the velocities all over the place?
    I haven't shot any, but have seen many sources who indicate it's either inconsistently loaded and/or underpowered. The Lucky Gunner 10k torture test is a good example. The carbine(s) running Tula had all sorts of problems which they attributed, at least partially, to it being underpowered. Wolf and Brown bear did not exhibit the same issues.

-Army Chief

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Is this true? I've not examined TULA ammo. But the Herters stuff I disected had an impressively consistent powder charge. No sure if Herters is even remotely related to Tula (production plant wise), but the only thing that made the ammo bad was the bullet. Everything else about the steel case was good.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Now that I think about it, about 10-15 years ago, I bought several cases of polymer coated Wolf steel case 223 that had copper (no steel) bullets. They were in regular Wolf packaging and I was surprised about the non-magnetic bullets.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Is this true? I've not examined TULA ammo. But the Herters stuff I disected had an impressively consistent powder charge. No sure if Herters is even remotely related to Tula (production plant wise), but the only thing that made the ammo bad was the bullet. Everything else about the steel case was good.
    Have not shot herters, had a bad go with hangfires with some of their other ammo. But, from the Tula I've shot, and honestly might break some down to see if i get bored, I'd shoot and I could 2-5 rounds a bix that lacked enough ass to cycle either of my BCMs or even my Bushy. The rest would cycle, but damn even Wolf I have less issue with than the Tula I've shot. The only Tula I've managed to run multiple boxes without a fail to feed or in sone cases fail to eject with a spent casing in my chamber was the 75gr stuff. I will caveat that the last Tula 55gr FMJ I shot was 3 years old as far as when I got it. Newer might be more consistent. But the issues I've had I still consider it junk.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    Sorry. I'd done the same and didn't see it on their website. Although, it looked like they weren't too ambitious with timely site updates

Only place I've seen the ammo so far is LAX Ammo...

https://www.laxammo.com/tulammo-223-...jectile-detail

Like you, I've opted to stay away from ammo like Tula because I'm not keen on throwing steel projos down my barrels. Range restrictions where I live are not much of a concern. So, hopefully this helps my friends trapped behind enemy lines.

Let me know if you're able to find any more info.
    There's a LAX ammo 15 mins from my house. I'll have to tool on over and check it out. The bullets in the picture don't look all that silvery, like on their website, indicating zinc. Maybe they went with a conventional guilding metal jacket. I might try some of this stuff in the really close range shooting at my next 3gun, accuracy isn't as critical. I'm going to a public range next week to fine tune my rifles out at 200 yds, so I think I'll shoot a few groups with this stuff as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast