Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New ammo from Tula?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Is this true? I've not examined TULA ammo. But the Herters stuff I disected had an impressively consistent powder charge. No sure if Herters is even remotely related to Tula (production plant wise), but the only thing that made the ammo bad was the bullet. Everything else about the steel case was good.
    Have not shot herters, had a bad go with hangfires with some of their other ammo. But, from the Tula I've shot, and honestly might break some down to see if i get bored, I'd shoot and I could 2-5 rounds a bix that lacked enough ass to cycle either of my BCMs or even my Bushy. The rest would cycle, but damn even Wolf I have less issue with than the Tula I've shot. The only Tula I've managed to run multiple boxes without a fail to feed or in sone cases fail to eject with a spent casing in my chamber was the 75gr stuff. I will caveat that the last Tula 55gr FMJ I shot was 3 years old as far as when I got it. Newer might be more consistent. But the issues I've had I still consider it junk.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Herters is usually rebranded Tula IIRC

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    Herters is usually rebranded Tula IIRC
    That's what I was guessing/assuming...

We did a big test on Herters. That ammo was really good in every way except the bullet. If you sub 69 gr SMKs and keep all else equal (even the powder charge), you have some decent ammo.

I tried running their 62 gr bullet in brass cases with all efforts made to make accurate ammo, and that bullet simply was 4 MOA at best.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's what I was guessing/assuming...

We did a big test on Herters. That ammo was really good in every way except the bullet. If you sub 69 gr SMKs and keep all else equal (even the powder charge), you have some decent ammo.

I tried running their 62 gr bullet in brass cases with all efforts made to make accurate ammo, and that bullet simply was 4 MOA at best.
    Interesting, I always thought it was their powder charges being inconsistent since when shooting for groups, I would always get a flyer that was low.. Making me think maybe varying powder charge.

But ya, I'm not surprised. The russian steel stuff is anything but accurate. Although, I have always had good luck with it being reliable. It always went bang for me, and makes great training ammo. My Glocks still have a steady diet of Tula for .15 cents a round.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My test was a sample of one lot of herters. I was indeed surprised at the powder consistency.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I finally scored 3 boxes of this Tula for a bit of testing. I haven't had time to shoot it yet, but I did pull down 5 rounds. The powder is a fine grain extruded type. Bullet non-magnetic.

bullet powder

1. 57.14 22.98

2. 56.64 NA (mishandled)

3. 56.38 21.76

4. 56.54 21.42

5. 56.38 21.48

The bullet is a BT, with a recessed base of about 1/16" (no lead), and no sealant.

If I had to guess...out of this small sample of 5, #1 would be the flyer that opened the group up.

I'll save the rest for accuracy and maybe some chrono. With such a small charge of powder I'm not expecting smokin' velocities.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 01-13-18 at 19:49.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    I always thought it was the powder they use that was harsher on the barrels than the projectile, but I might be wrong on that.
    I have seen rust on non coated steel parts and insde fired cases from Tula and several years back from Wolf. I assume the powder is what has the affinity for water, but could be primers also.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jsbhike; 01-26-18 at 09:37.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Nothing new. Wolf's been having the occasional run of copper jacketed ammo for some time now. I guess the Tula plant just pulled a "me too".
    I ran 60rds of the Wolf Polyformance 223Rem copper jacket through my Yugo M95 yesterday. It ran 100%, but I wasn't checking for accuracy. Interestingly, it has large primers. I got it from SGAmmo. It was about $34 less per 1k than brass cased Wolf. I reload, so I think that the $34 savings is not worth not getting the brass to reload. 7.62x39 is another story. A case of the Wolf Polyformance 7.62x39 copper jacket is $276 delivered from SGAmmo. The cheapest brass cased non-corrosive 7.62x39 right now is Prvi 123gr FMJ from Target Sports USA for $449.50 delivered. That's a difference of $173.50. That makes getting the Wolf 7.62x39 a no-brainer for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123