Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New ammo from Tula?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    It's not Tula (Barnul?), but the Grendel steel case is a bit mild, but not excessively slow. And it's accuracy is very much limited by the projectile. Mexican match tests with decent bullets it did well. So it's projectile variance that makes it 2.5-3 MOA.
    Agreed.
    Just because something is steel cased ammo does not in and of itself mean it is shit accuracy. Because I hear that often, at which point I point to Hornady Steel match and some of the groups I have shot with that stuff. I have just found Tula to be shit though, yes, projos are shit and I would not be surprised if there was as much as a 5gr variation in their stuff, and Probably not that much off in their powder. in the 55gr stuff I have also heard the theory that the powder throw is the same as the 5.45 ammo, that the just chance casing and projectile when doing runs. I don't know.

Maybe I'll get really ambitious in the near future, grab some various tula loadings and break them down and weigh the projo and powder and see.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

New ammo from Tula?

I shoot about 8000 rounds of Tula or wolf 9mm mainly Tula 115 gr and it shoots 3 inch groups at 25 yards all day. I find it very consistent and with the money you save you can get a new barrel and another couple thousand rounds to shoot.
    I have a couple training buddy’s who also do the same thing and we love the stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mattieb; 12-24-17 at 06:58.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    Hadn't even considered LAX was local to you. Double bonus potentially with those new ammo laws you guys have to deal with. I almost wonder if it'll be an exclusive for LAX/Tula. Kind of like the Walmart/Perfecta deal that once was.

Keep us posted if you try them out.
    Will do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mattieb View Post
    I shoot about 8000 rounds of Tula or wolf 9mm mainly Tula 115 he and it shoots 3 inch groups at 25 yards all day. I find it very consistent and the money you save you can get a new barrel and another couple thousand rounds to shoot.
    I have a couple trading buddy’s who also do the same thing and we love the stuff.
    Upon further consideration, I actually have shot Tula. It was quite a while back and only in pistol calibers. FWIW, I don't recall any issues. Fed, fired and ejected just fine. Don't remember anything out of the ordinary accuraccy wise either. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean the same can be expected with their rifle caliber loadings.

Still, I'm interested in their new non-steel version. Spending $80-$100 less per case is a pretty significant savings. If it's reliable, I could deal with accuracy on the poorer end of the spectrum for basic range/plinking use.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Nothing new. Wolf's been having the occasional run of copper jacketed ammo for some time now. I guess the Tula plant just pulled a "me too".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Nothing new. Wolf's been having the occasional run of copper jacketed ammo for some time now. I guess the Tula plant just pulled a "me too".
    Interesting. I've seen that packaging before but never really bothered to look into them.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Interesting. I've pretty much stayed away from the Wolf steel case .223 because of the bi-metal, so I haven't kept up with all their line (I do shoot their Gold line). You would think that the copper jacket stuff would be the only thing they would send to Ca because you really can't shoot bi-metal anywhere except the desert.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's not new, been around for a while.

I always thought it was the powder they use that was harsher on the barrels than the projectile, but I might be wrong on that.

With that said, I've shot 25,000+ rounds of a combination of Wolf, Tula, Brown bear, and Golden Tiger as well as some other steel case stuff in 9mm 7.62x39 and 223... I've never had a problem with it, always goes bang.. It's just really dirty and not consistent/accurate.
    Steel case ammo is all I shoot out of my glocks anymore, you can buy 1000 rounds for 150 bucks at sgammo.. It's stupid cheap, and it has never given me any problems in the calibers I mentioned.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Does it comes with more powder in the case and in more consistent quantities than their normal 55gr craptastic ammo?
    Is this true? I've not examined TULA ammo. But the Herters stuff I disected had an impressively consistent powder charge. No sure if Herters is even remotely related to Tula (production plant wise), but the only thing that made the ammo bad was the bullet. Everything else about the steel case was good.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Now that I think about it, about 10-15 years ago, I bought several cases of polymer coated Wolf steel case 223 that had copper (no steel) bullets. They were in regular Wolf packaging and I was surprised about the non-magnetic bullets.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast