Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is +P in 9MM still viable?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Is +P in 9MM still viable?

The only rounds I've carried in 9MM have been 124 +P, 115 +P+ and 127 +P+.

The majority of that has been 124 +P in Speer GDHP.

I'm getting down to the last of my carry ammo and I'm wondering if just going standard pressure across the board is a good choice.

I may be changing out to Federal HST in either 124 or 147 grain standard pressure. The tests I've seen and the reading/research I've been doing has this round as a solid choice in either standard or +P pressure.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    +P 124 gr. HST is a favored carry load as well as standard pressure 124 gr. GD, in my 9mms.
    They are both, certainly "still viable" in my book.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Why wouldn't it be viable? What do mean by the word "viable"?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Synonym: Practical

Given the fact +P suffers slightly more recoil and sometimes less penetration.

Does the +P offer anything more than standard pressure?

Maybe chill a bit with your responses.....

Quote Originally Posted by VALG17 View Post
    Why wouldn't it be viable? What do mean by the word "viable"?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    The only rounds I've carried in 9MM have been 124 +P, 115 +P+ and 127 +P+.

The majority of that has been 124 +P in Speer GDHP.

I'm getting down to the last of my carry ammo and I'm wondering if just going standard pressure across the board is a good choice.

I may be changing out to Federal HST in either 124 or 147 grain standard pressure. The tests I've seen and the reading/research I've been doing has this round as a solid choice in either standard or +P pressure.
    Been discussed at length in other threads BTW. Maybe a mod et al has a link for you.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Actually I prefer standard pressure with the 115 and 124 GD.
    This in part due to the firearm used (T and C series BHPs) and because penetration has been better in gel than the +P version.
    Expansion is better/greater with the +P GDs, however I’ll take better penetration in this case.
    The HST +P’s are probably the gold standard in 124’s.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I carry standard pressure Ranger T 147, and I do not feel that more P would be better. It does well in FBI protocol testing, and is widely used by LE. My backup choices in case Ranger T is unavailable are also standard pressure 147’s.

I also don’t think there is anything “wrong” with +P 124 and 147 Gold Dots. Some bullet designs appear to need the extra velocity, but not Gold Dots or HST. 115 gr bullets I don’t know much about.

+P is viable, I just have no need for it, and my carry ammo matches my practice ammo in recoil.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I've read a whole mess of threads here and on other sites.

It seems like a 50/50.

Edited to add: I'm not seeing a huge difference in split times when it comes to +P vs. standard pressure.

I do however notice a difference in felt recoil and how the sights track.

Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Been discussed at length in other threads BTW. Maybe a mod et al has a link for you.
    Last edited by davidjinks; 12-24-17 at 19:47.

Feedback Score
    From my amateur research, all I can determine is that when all thinks are equal in a good JHP, the +P may have less penetration. And mostly, the differences are maybe 50-100 FPS. Seems to increase expansion which reduces the penetration.

I do not stock much SD ammo personally, and only have a few hundred rounds of quality JHP, mostly HST, GD, and Critical Duty, some +P, some standard, so I'm not really tied to any brand or bullet at this time. But I am becoming intrigued by the "extreme defender" round offered by Underwood. It is fast and light for caliber, and from the tests I have seen, offers extremely consistent penetration at around 18 inches in ballistics gel.

I am also looking at the Hornady XTP projectile rounds offered by Underwood and others. Less expansion, good penetration.

Just food for thought...

Feedback Score
    With today's hollowpoints they all perform very close to each other. They are so close that I can promise you that your selection in what ammo you use will not determine the outcome of any shooting you might be in.

As someone that for years was forced to carry ball ammo, I always find these threads humorous. We took what we had and went out and shot terrorist with it and made it work.

I will not in some tactical situations after the first magazine in the pistol and 1 more mag of hollowpoints the rest of my ammo is very hot ball ammo. Reason being is if I haven't solved the problem by then, I will want max penatration as the bad guy will be behind some type of cover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast