Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is +P in 9MM still viable?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I've used ball as well. .Mil issue and all that jazz, so it's what we got.

I wouldn't hesitate to use ball if that's the only thing I could get. However if I can maximize the ability to put lead in a target, keep lead in a target, rinse and repeat until no more lead is needed, I'll take whatever I can get.

In regards to your first sentence...if they perform very close to each other then is it worth having the extra recoil/muzzle velocity when using +P ammo?

I'm guessing not.....

Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    With today's hollowpoints they all perform very close to each other. They are so close that I can promise you that your selection in what ammo you use will not determine the outcome of any shooting you might be in.

As someone that for years was forced to carry ball ammo, I always find these threads humorous. We took what we had and went out and shot terrorist with it and made it work.

I will not in some tactical situations after the first magazine in the pistol and 1 more mag of hollowpoints the rest of my ammo is very hot ball ammo. Reason being is if I haven't solved the problem by then, I will want max penatration as the bad guy will be behind some type of cover.

Feedback Score
    When I moved back to the USA, I had a love affair with .357sig and converted a Glock 35 . Then as time went on and the big companies loaded it to lower pressures and as a result lower velocity I went with a small company that still loaded it hot. But they had issues with quality control so I went back to 9mm.

I started with +p and carried it. But then I really started looking at how different ammo performed and as a result looked at what I was using once again.

So I have now settled on 147 grain ammo, which works for me for my EDC.

However here is where life gets messy for Synagogue I have a different pistol and use 124 +p ammo, backed by NATO 9mm ball. This way the RMR is sighted in for rounds that are closer together in terms of accuracy and point of impact than if I went 147 grain backed by NATO ball.

I like the 147 because every once in a while I carry a Hi Power and since I own it I don't want to batter it and I think penetration matters more than max expansion.
    Last edited by yoni; 12-25-17 at 09:55.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I like the 147 because every once in a while I carry a Hi Power and since I own it I don't want to batter it and I think penetration matters more than max expansion.
    I have a MK III BHP, that I sometimes keep loaded for HD. I believe the cast frame is stronger, so keep it loaded with 130 grain Hornady Critical Defense which is +P. If your BHP is a T, or C series, or pre MK III, then you are wise to use standard pressure. Although even my M III rarely gets shot with anything but my relatively light to mid range reloads.

Feedback Score
    For what it is worth we shot the 9mm loaded for subgun out of our Hi Powers and we shot them into junk in no time. So I baby my own Hi Powers one is a full house custom from C&S and the second is Special Ops from Novak. Then I have a clone as my beater Hi Power.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Thanks for all the posts so far everyone. I hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Synonym: Practical

Given the fact +P suffers slightly more recoil and sometimes less penetration.

Does the +P offer anything more than standard pressure?

Maybe chill a bit with your responses.....
    Perhaps you should chill with yours? You started a thread asking for information, the poster was trying to clarify what you wanted.

Merry Christmas indeed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12