Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger's new "Security 9"

Feedback Score
    At that potential price point they've even cheaper than the Turkish imports.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jaholder View Post
    When I first saw this I thought Ruger was maybe bringing back the old revolver, color me old, set in my ways and disappointed.
    Me as well. I never liked the abbreviated grip frames of the GP100 or SP101. Bring back the Security 6, Service Six, and Speed Six!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Alright, I have my sample.

Initial impressions are generally good. The trigger is quite useable and is probably better than a bunch of other similar guns. It might be the best thing about the gun.

Ergonomics are decent and the controls seem logical. Unlike the American the Security 9 seems designed for a high thumbs grip. The grip circumference is a bit small for me but shouldn't really be a problem. I doubt that will be a complaint for most people and I'd rather have the grip be a bit small VS a bit large.

The gun points a little high for me. Not Glock high but a little high. I guess I'd compare it to about half the muzzle high attitude of a Glock for those who are used to a 1911 and some other pistols.

The one caveat to the above is the thumb safety. As already reported, the safety comes off easily enough and shouldn't be an issue. Putting it back on is another story. Leverage is wrong so the master grip does have to be broken to re-engage. Maybe this isn't a big deal but I'd prefer the safety to be easier to flip back on.

Also, I find it odd that the gun is completely right handed. In the day and age of modularity and fully ambidextrous pistols the Ruger is a complete throwback. A lefty can probably still work with the gun as long as he leaves the thumb safety off. Looking at the pistol, it would require a redesign to add a right and left side safety lever since the disconnector is on the right side directly across from the current safety. Again, maybe this isn't a big deal but I'm a bit surprised Ruger did not made the safety ambidextrous right out of the gate. At a minimum the safety should be workable by right and left shooters.

The gun comes with two mags that pop out nicely when the mag release is pressed.

One thing to mention. The gun is very close in shape and size to the Glock 19 and will sort of fit in a couple different 19 holsters I have on hand. It fits tightly in a Perun, fits pretty well in a Blade Tech G17 holster (which is a little too long) and works okay in my old Bianchi IWB. I'll use the leather holster for now as it seems to work the best.

Overall, I think Ruger will probably sell a bunch of these based on name and price alone. It will probably be a great seller to first time buyers and people with a small budget. More serious students of the pistol will probably either love it or hate it depending on their expectations and comfort with other designs.

No rounds fired yet. I'll try to fix that ASAP.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Actually that is a pretty nice looking piece, and maybe a good car gun.
    Last edited by m4brian; 01-09-18 at 20:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Me as well. I never liked the abbreviated grip frames of the GP100 or SP101. Bring back the Security 6, Service Six, and Speed Six!
    I'd buy one. If they made a security Six in .22 LR or Magnum I'd make it rain dollar bills at my LGS tomorrow!

Feedback Score
    Tokarev, do you know if it can use the bigger SR9 magazine? I’ve seen it reported but not confirmed. Also not sure if it related but Ruger dropped the budget SR9e this week.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific5th View Post
    Tokarev, do you know if it can use the bigger SR9 magazine? I’ve seen it reported but not confirmed. Also not sure if it related but Ruger dropped the budget SR9e this week.
    No, sir. They will not fit. The SR mag is retained in the pistol by a notch in the front. The S9 mag is retained by a notch in the side.

SR mags will fit but not lock in. I'm sure it would be possible to cut a notch in the SR mag if one absolutely needed to.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaholder View Post
    I'd buy one. If they made a security Six in .22 LR or Magnum I'd make it rain dollar bills at my LGS tomorrow!
    Ruger still makes the Redhawk that has the more conventional grip frame. That's as close as we'll ever get to the original line of DA revolvers. Maybe someday they'll make a 12 shot 22LR Redhawk...

Feedback Score
    I like Ruger products.....own a bunch, but I am just so "mehhhh" about the polymer pistols they put out.

I hand an SR9 for a while, it was OK. But I got bored with it and traded it for an M&P 9. The American was never even in the running for a replacement to the SR9.

At this price point, they will sell a boat load of them. I would consider it...maybe.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    They are LIGHTER than a G19?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast