Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5Creedmoor, to brake or not brake?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

6.5Creedmoor, to brake or not brake?

A two part question here. Does a brake help the 6.5Creedmoore enough to recover from the recoil to see bullet impact? Does a brake really help grouping. I have heard that brakes help and can also open up your group. What has been your expirance? Thanks for the help.

Thoughts....?
    Last edited by 5.56Geo; 12-25-17 at 10:53.
    Live free or die trying!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve only ever shot my Creedmoor suppresssed, so cant really answer your first question. Bullet weights for this round are most commonly in the 120-140 gr weight- so not very heavy. I’d say that the weight of your rifle and the particular brake vs others would have the most effect.

A properly installed brake should do nothing to affect group size. It may affect follow-through, which in turn affect the group, but that would be on the shooter.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56Geo View Post
    A two part question here. Does a brake help the 6.5Creedmoore enough to recover from the recoil to see bullet impact? Does a brake really help grouping. I have heard that brakes help and can also open up your group. What has been your expirance? Thanks for the help.

Thoughts....?
    I have a Bergara HMR in 6.5CM with an Area 419 HellFire muzzle brake. At 600 yards, the recoil is minimal where I can see the impacts but the side blast is very loud. I am curious myself in how the recoil would be without the muzzle brake so I took it off but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I plan to later this week.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you want to reliably spot your own shots a good brake or can is a must. There's a reason every gun at a PRS match has one or the other.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I run have ran a SilencerCo ASR brake and a Dead Air brake with and without a can.

I can spot my hits at 400 yards pretty easy. If I really get behind the rifle and dig in my bipod 300 yards is possible.

I would say the brake is more effective but the suppressor recoil is more straight back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Brakes just work real well. They help everything a lot. Only downside is blasting your amigos or blasting up Mother Earth causing disturbance. All my guns except 22’s have a brake or can.

Group size should not open up.

Brakes are GTG IMHO.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-29-17 at 09:44.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56Geo View Post

Thoughts....?
    At what distances can you not see impact from shooting a 6.5 creed? From what firing positions? How heavy is your rig? I ask, because maybe your fundamentals being nailed down for proper recoil mitigation/follow-thru (posture/form) might be something to look at and improve, before you go to installing a brake. Braked/Non-braked concerning groups really is a non-issue, provided everything has been done right.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post
    At what distances can you not see impact from shooting a 6.5 creed? From what firing positions? How heavy is your rig? I ask, because maybe your fundamentals being nailed down for proper recoil mitigation/follow-thru (posture/form) might be something to look at and improve, before you go to installing a brake. Braked/Non-braked concerning groups really is a non-issue, provided everything has been done right.
    I will start from the beginning...
    This is my first distance/precision rifle (Remmy 700 AAC-SD), a Christmas gift from the wife. I have never shot the 6.5Creedmoor. I will be shooting it primarily from a bench or prone ranging from 100 to 1200 yards. I have reloaded for years, not sure if that is important? As far as fundamentals I'll be learning from several extended range shooters in my area I shoot with.

I will be assembling it on Saturday. This is what I have already;
    Remington 700 AAC-SD in 6.5Creedmoor
    KRG Bravo stock
    Timney 510 trigger
    EGW 30MOA base
    Vortex Match medium scope rings
    Vortex 4x16x44 Viper HS-T MRAD scope
    Harris bipod

I was going to buy a brake but will shoot it first and see how it fares. The rifle will also be shot before the stock is changed.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Last edited by 5.56Geo; 01-04-18 at 22:10.
    Live free or die trying!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    If you want to reliably spot your own shots a good brake or can is a must. There's a reason every gun at a PRS match has one or the other.
    Agree. Particularly on closer targets.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Get prone, dig your bipod legs in the ground, load your bipod, pull rifle in shoulder, use your body straight behind the gun to soak up the recoil. You will be able to spot your own hits pretty easy with good form but it will be a lot easier with a brake as the rifle moves much less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast