Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Welcoming in 2018 with a focus on mythbusting AR15/.223 gun store BS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Here's one from the other day. Glocks are cheap junk because they use plastic sights. If they use cheap sights you don't know what else they cheap out on

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    My G34 had plastic sights for a while. I even won a few PPC matches with it years back

Not ideal but they work. Glock isn't "cheap", it does what it needs to do.

Lame import laws are the cause of a lot of wacky crap.

ETA: I was addressing your myth you heard. Not trying to give ya guff, Arik

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    My G34 had plastic sights for a while. I even won a few PPC matches with it years back

Not ideal but they work. Glock isn't "cheap", it does what it needs to do.

Lame import laws are the cause of a lot of wacky crap.

ETA: I was addressing your myth you heard. Not trying to give ya guff, Arik
    I know what you're referring to. It's just funny the level of mental gymnastics people do to justify something. Years of actual use and testing never enters into the equation.

The other part of it, which I was too lazy to type, was that ...since the box is cheap plastic as well as the sights. Those two things means the gun is of unknown quality

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know what you're referring to. It's just funny the level of mental gymnastics people do to justify something. Years of actual use and testing never enters into the equation.

The other part of it, which I was too lazy to type, was that ...since the box is cheap plastic as well as the sights. Those two things means the gun is of unknown quality

You bring up a good point. There are a lot of people who will assume that because the packaging is cheap the product must be cheap. From what I heard IOR ran into this issue when they first started getting brought in.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    You bring up a good point. There are a lot of people who will assume that because the packaging is cheap the product must be cheap. From what I heard IOR ran into this issue when they first started getting brought in.
    I always tell my LGS that if it saves me a few bucks they can keep the box and I'll throw the gun in my lunch bag

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I always tell my LGS that if it saves me a few bucks they can keep the box and I'll throw the gun in my lunch bag

Lol! They ever take you up on that one?
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No! But it's worth a try!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    People would literally dismiss a Wilson Combat if it came in an old plastic Gobots lunch pail but would act like a Bersa was something the Lord made just for them if it came in a Tiffany box with monogramming.

Agree on IOR. Painfully overlooked glass. I used to have a dragunov reticle scope I got for a song and foolishly traded (mid 00s) but danged if that sucker wasn't clear. Like ACOG clear. IIRC they use Schott glass.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I wouldn't be too terribly hard on Stick, guys.

Much of this convo has to do with perspective. Stick has been fortunate enough to primarily associate or hear stuff from guys who are a bit more knowledgeable then most. Good for him (not sarcasm). Whereas I've known LE types that were competent, genuine gun guys as well as LE types that make the case for disarming law enforcement and issuing them slingshots because of how firearm incompetent they were.

Like I said in my last post in this thread, to be part of the first real expansion of the gun world into the internet was to be inundated with the type of bullshit that EuroDriver mentioned. In some cases, I haven't seen the examples given for many years and happily so. Most of that kind of gunshop commando crap is kept to the actual gunshops or a portion of shooting related sites that folks like us simply don't go to.

Stick clearly hasn't waded through the sheer volume of junk due to the company he keeps. Lucky him. The rest of us who have been through that though, have seen all of the listed bullshit, and WORSE. Some even from major manufacturers that are still producing to this day.

Everybody has their own view on the world and it's not worth getting butthurt about because we don't share the same perspective on things.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    People would literally dismiss a Wilson Combat if it came in an old plastic Gobots lunch pail but would act like a Bersa was something the Lord made just for them if it came in a Tiffany box with monogramming.

Agree on IOR. Painfully overlooked glass. I used to have a dragunov reticle scope I got for a song and foolishly traded (mid 00s) but danged if that sucker wasn't clear. Like ACOG clear. IIRC they use Schott glass.
    My wife shoots, but isn't super in to guns. You should have seen the look on her face when I brought home my Les Baer in the famous cardboard box lol. She thought it was crazy that her Sig came in a nice case and the pride of my colection came in a simple box

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyM4 View Post
    I
    Whereas I've known LE types that were competent, genuine gun guys as well as LE types that make the case for disarming law enforcement and issuing them slingshots because of how firearm incompetent they were.
    I have seen this firsthand.

"You only need a shotgun"

Okay well if I dont feel like tossing a volley of .32 pellets into a crowd can I get some slugs

"Slugs are too dangerous"

Why?

"Because of policy"

Well you write the policy

"No slugs because of [hearsay "case law" in bugtussle USA]"

But....

"Muh white shirt!"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯*

Dont get me started on "Glocks are too militaristic, now go head off Murdertown with your singlestack Smith .45 while I finish my coffee, forward chain e mails, and look important until shift change".
    Wake the f*ck up, Samurai

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast