Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Omega owner has a question

Feedback Score

New Omega owner has a question

So after the LONG wait I finally received my Omega .30 which for many reasons i am enamoured with. Having taken it to the range on several different hosts I am beginning to believe that the "brake" at the muzzle end of the can is detrimental to accuracy, when shot against the same host with a flat end cap. I have theorized that it is the barrel harmonics which have been changed because of the added length and weight on the muzzle, but I feel if that were the case then it would be a fifty fifty proposition as some barrels would like it and some not.

So has anyone else experienced or observed this phenomenon, or should I have used the search function and spent the remainder of my life frustrated?
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I do not have a flat end cap but my groups actually improved with running my Omega.

Are you running on a bolt gun or semi auto? What caliber? Bullet weight? Speed?

Here is my first group with my Omega with the same exact load I was using unsupressed. 6.5 creedmoor with 140 Eld. I have better groups but no pictures of the targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have not noticed a change from when I used the brake to using the flat cap as of now. This has been with various AR’s and bolt guns. Going out on a limb here, but I don’t think the additional weight of the brake versus flat cap would be noticeable. The weight of the can itself, perhaps. My 6.5 Creedmoor shot a 9-shot group under 1/2” with the brake attached and I haven’t noticed any drop-off in accuracy since switching to the flat cap. Took it out to 860 yards this afternoon and was still making hits.

Feedback Score
    I recall reading that the flat end cap is actually heavier than the brake, because of the materials they're made of. Maybe I've got that wrong, but they're very close in weight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    I recall reading that the flat end cap is actually heavier than the brake, because of the materials they're made of. Maybe I've got that wrong, but they're very close in weight.
    Actually I sourced a titanium one for both .30 and .224, so the weight is actually quite a bit less.

While I have not shot the .308 for groups, I have shot a .223 and a .300 blackout.

It was quite evident in the .300 and to a lesser extent in the .223. Note the one lower right shot was before a sight adjustment. Left with brake and right with flat end cap.

Last edited by 308sako; 12-27-17 at 22:48. Reason: pic
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The problem with guns is that there is inherently voodoo associated with making changes. Shoot enough guns and enough suppressors and you’ll see that some changes work out great and some don’t. Unfortunately, due to cost and NFA, cans are a gamble. If you had three identical uppers and three Omegas, you could play mix and match and see different results with each one combo. It would be the same case with any other can, by the way.

What I ended up doing with my Omega was direct threading it, and timing the can so that the anchor brake had a port facing 12 o’clock. This worked best for me.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the timing concept I will try that!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    Thank you for the timing concept I will try that!
    I should say that I am running the ASR brake (well was for those pics) and I made sure that the engraved letters faced 12 o’clock every time. That was consistent enough for me.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I think we might be confusing the ASR muzzle brake with the brake on the end of the can....

That’s how I’m reading this thread.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have not experienced any accuracy issues between the brake and flat cap. That said, I have made the decision to just run the flat cap for various reasons at this point. Gun is a PWS MK216 .308.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast