Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger PCC takedown

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another update:

We put close to 200 rounds through the gun yesterday. Shot it on paper at 50 and on steel at 250m.

As you all can imagine, trying to hit a steel ram at 250 meters is more or less a waste of ammo. But my range partner was able to get 2 hits out of fifteen rounds. I got a whopping 0/15. Anyway, once we had the elevation more or less worked out we would have been able to convince a knife wielding maniac that 250 meters is as close to us as he'd care to get.

At 50 things are much more realistic. From a seated position propped on elbows the gun will shoot 3-4" easily. Likely quite a bit better with a solid sandbagged rest and optic.

We ran a number of Bill drills on paper at 7 and on a 10" steel plate at 15. We started with the rifle shouldered but muzzle down at about a 45° angle. At seven yards we both had several runs with all six rounds in the A Zone in the 1.5 second range. At fifteen yards it was more difficult to get all six hits given the low sights and gun's unique recoil impulse. Still, runs of 2.5 seconds were do-able without too much work.

My range partner made the same comment about the cheek weld and the gun's low sights. The gun really wants to be outfitted with a red dot. If I planned on buying one I'd definitely look hard at putting a little dot sight on top.

Good news? The gun ran fine. No malfunctions other than that one stovepipe I had a couple days ago. It really is a fun plinker and the trigger is pretty darned good.

Bad news? The 10/22 manual of arms is pretty different and will take some getting used to. Coming from an AR where the safety is engaged for movement, reloads, etc this gun is pretty awkward. The push button safety just isn't conducive to constant manipulation. Not to say that someone won't get good and comfortable running the little gun but it will likely take a bit of work for those of us who are comfortable with the AR.

With the above in mind I unscrewed the bolt handle and switched it over to the right side of the receiver with the idea that the support hand will be used for everything other than pulling the trigger. With some work it shouldn't be too hard to get used to bringing the support hand back to push the mag release when empty. From there the support hand will go to the belt to retrieve a new mag. Once the new mag is in the support hand is moved up slightly to pull the bolt handle back a little and complete the reload.

Other bad news. The forend mount under the barrel is loose. The bolt that holds the forend to the forend mount is still tight but the block under the forend is working loose. I didn't have the correct Allen wrench with me but will tighten that up when I get home. A dab of blue Loktite might be in order.*I'll keep an eye on it and apply thread locker as needed.

Once I got home I took the gun apart to tighten the forend and to give it a good cleaning. The gun is pretty darned simple as is expected from a blowback design. The recoil buffer or whatever some other reviews mention is nothing more than a big chunk of metal sitting inside the bolt. I imagine custom weights will be available as the gun catches on and I'd be curious to see how the gun handles with a lighter bolt weight and a heavier recoil spring.*I can't help but think the gun would both carry and handle better with a lighter bolt weight installed.

Most interesting to me is the bolt face. It is held in by two pins and comes out with minimal effort. Being that the barrel and bolt face are easily removed I have little doubt that Ruger plans on selling caliber conversions at some point. Down side to this will be adding an even heavier bolt weight for something like 45 ACP or 10mm.

Sorry. No pics. My phone was on the charger. But I'll get some tomorrow or Saturday if anyone wants a look at the bolt and related parts.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 01-19-18 at 05:45.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    I just started my 10 day weight. Two questions come to mind.

1. I bought the threaded barrel model and can't have a suppressor. Is there any perceived (however slight) benefit to a good muzzle brake /compensator? Any specific model? I like the looks of the SLR brake.

2. I want QD points. I prefer the locations on the Magpul backpacker stock and I am considering adding the Magpul QD Moe MSA in the front of the receiver and the IWC QD mount to the rear stock. Does anyone have experience mounting to plastic stocks?

https://www.magpul.com/products/msa-qd

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...d-micro-mount/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why put a brake on a pistol caliber carbine? Not everything needs a brake. I see at the range guys doing informal practice (i.e., not precision rifle at 600 yds) with 5.56, 6.5CM, and .308 and .300BO with big ass brakes. Is this some Rambo disease the every muzzle myst have brake? I can see possibly for HEAVY magnums or precision rifle so you can watch impacts. But 5.56, 9mm?!
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Another update:

My range partner made the same comment about the cheek weld and the gun's low sights. The gun really wants to be outfitted with a red dot. If I planned on buying one I'd definitely look hard at putting a little dot sight on top.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Tokarev mine will be here Monday and I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on a red dot of some sort. I'm guessing that a standard low mount will be high enough. Do you agree?
    Semper Fi, Tres Deuce. Rest In Peace GM, MG, JK, CC. KIA May 2, 2008 - Freedom has a taste the protected will never know at a price they cannot understand.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Tokarev mine will be here Monday and I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on a red dot of some sort. I'm guessing that a standard low mount will be high enough. Do you agree?
    That'd be my guess.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    It's a homely thing but I wouldn't say no if they wanted to give me one.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    It's a homely thing but I wouldn't say no if they wanted to give me one.
    Yea the first thing I thought was that may be the ugliest rifle I'll ever own, but it's got everything I want in a PCC carbine (except .45 ACP)
    Semper Fi, Tres Deuce. Rest In Peace GM, MG, JK, CC. KIA May 2, 2008 - Freedom has a taste the protected will never know at a price they cannot understand.

Feedback Score
    Wonder if, in the future, it would be possible to chamber an aftermarket barrel for 357Sig and then "customize" the buffer weight (or whatever it is) that Tokarev mentions.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Wonder if, in the future, it would be possible to chamber an aftermarket barrel for 357Sig and then "customize" the buffer weight (or whatever it is) that Tokarev mentions.
    If they make a 40 conversion I don't see why not.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Its the only new purchase i'm excited about, especially when i think of going to the range with my son. I should not have sold the PC9 i had.
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast