Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG P320 in the Mountains

Feedback Score

SIG P320 in the Mountains

Back from the "voluntary recall" "upgrade". I've put about a hundred rounds thru it and no troubles. Mine is the "gutted" slide version, that is, the one with half the inside of the slide milled out. Supposedly has been linked to problems with the Compact model, but doesn't seem to bother it a bit. And maybe I'll start loading 95 grain bullets?

Took it on my climb up the mountain to check my snares.

This is my winter setup, gun and pack w/ survival kit and whatnot. 21 shot mags, three of them. So I have plenty of rounds for signalling if need be. Extra ammo came in handy this year while deer hunting, when I severely tore my right gastroc calf muscle on an uphill pull. All I had was my 6.5x55 SAKO boltgun but my son who heard them from a ways away said my emergency shots sounded like semiauto fire. LOL. Pain is a motivator...

Holster completely protects the pistol and prevent ingress of foreign material; dirt, dust, snow, frost, rain, pine needles, etc. Holster has a sort of elaborate retention strap, with 2 snaps and a metal loop the end can be threaded thru to really stabilize it and keep the gun home during falls. The mag pouches are some submachinegun pouches I had modified to take the shorted SIG mags. I also have a three-mag pouch as well.

Holster {left hand draw} has a leather block to prevent outside pressure on the flap from depressing the magazine release.

Gun is always covered by my anorak. I'm pretty paranoid about losing it. I've lost magazines before and I don't like the idea of losing a pistol.

Conditions:

Where I was going to check my snares took both misery slippers and bawling boards.

I accept with sincere belief the doctrine of faith as handed down to us from the Apostles by the orthodox Fathers, always in the same sense and with the same interpretation.
    Pope Pius X

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Interesting post. It's cool to see how people who live a VERY different life than I do work out their gear. Flap holsters always seem antiquated and weird to me, then I look at posts like this and I'm like, "oh, I see." There's a thread in the Stickman forum where these photos might be a neat addition. Did you shoot it while out there?

Feedback Score
    What a unique and cool post, thank you for sharing!

May I ask a question about the warning shots? Do you bring blank ammunition? Or do you shoot live ammo into a safe spot in the maintain side?

Thank you sir!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TF82 View Post
    Interesting post. It's cool to see how people who live a VERY different life than I do work out their gear. Flap holsters always seem antiquated and weird to me, then I look at posts like this and I'm like, "oh, I see." There's a thread in the Stickman forum where these photos might be a neat addition. Did you shoot it while out there?
    No shooting today. But I do try to keep up on it!

I accept with sincere belief the doctrine of faith as handed down to us from the Apostles by the orthodox Fathers, always in the same sense and with the same interpretation.
    Pope Pius X

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gillian_seed View Post
    What a unique and cool post, thank you for sharing!

May I ask a question about the warning shots? Do you bring blank ammunition? Or do you shoot live ammo into a safe spot in the maintain side?

Thank you sir!
    That's actually a really good question.

I do not carry any blanks.

Shots can be fired into the dirt, but in truth, where I live, the danger is virtually nonexistent. Heading out the kitchen door and heading east, you can go 185 miles without running into a single human habitation, and then you run into a town of about 2500 people!

Shooting grouse with a rifle is legal here, as is use of the pistol for example.
    Pope Pius X

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Cool pics. I think I remember you from Sig forum years back.

Feedback Score
    Great posts! What are you trapping...coyotes? Maybe bobcat/lynx? Or are you targeting marten in trees?

Do you have to worry about accidentally snaring wolves, or are they legal by now in ID. Anyway, thanks much! Your post sparked some fond memories of when I used to run traps while stationed in MT and AK (nothing big, recreationally and small lines). Good luck!
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 12-29-17 at 07:03.

Feedback Score
    Cool post and thanks much for sharing it with us.

The photos are very beautiful. I have to admit, though, that the older I get the happier I am that I don't live in areas with heavy snowfall.

I was in the Marine Corps in Vietnam with a man from Pocatello, Idaho. I'm guessing that's a "fur" piece from where you live.

Thanks again for the post and photos.

Feedback Score
    Thanks all.

Yup, that was me. Still there at SF under the 3/4Flap handle.

I just keep some coyote snares running now on my ranch to support the local deer population. Nothing big but the need to check them, and not owning a snowmobile keeps me exercising and watching what I eat! Plus, I love to get out in the solitude of the winter mountains. There is nothing like it, peaceful and fearsome all at once.

By God's grace, I'm in good shape for a 34 year-old, at least most of the 34 year olds I see these days, except I'm 54 heading for 55! LOL. Some years are harder than others, and old injuries sometimes remind me of days gone by, and new ones of {uff da!} days yet to come! I've had some treks that I would rather not repeat, in spite of my attention to safety and fieldcraft, and at some point I'll have to stop, I know, but until then, I'll enjoy it as much as I can.

Wolves are legal to trap and shoot here, but coyote snares are not likely to pick up a wolf as yote snares are set much lower than what is necessary for wolves. I shoot ground squirrels for bait in summer {pistol, rifle, shotgun} and our guts and dead hens from the chicken coop and raiding coons and guts from butchering all wind up in the bait pile, covered to meet the law, all used to snag the odd coyote and thereby save a few deer and elk. "The circle of life", so-to-speak. They are really hard to kill around here as the timber makes for good cover for them and they are shot "at" all the time so very spooky. I've killed them with pistol, rifle, shotgun and my old Zulu knobkerrie from my days in Africa.

I initially mostly carried a Smith and Wesson Model 10 revolver for woods wandering, then moved on to SA .44's and .45's, then N-frame .44's and .45's, then the 1911, then 7.62x25 Czech and Tokarev pistols and interspersed with .22 revolvers and Ruger .22 semiautos and many others {Glocks, SIG's, etc}, each one having its disadvantages that got annoying after a while, or as with the .45 ACP, performance that wasn't what I wanted {that backed up by my years of butcher stock shooting}, so I finally went with the 9x19 and have used 9mm pistols almost exclusively since. I really have no complaints about the 9x19 tho it is not a "sexy" round and if I was going to design a round for what I do it would be just a smidgen different.

There is no such thing as a "Holy Grail" of pistols, though I would love to be able to sit down and design one from the ground up and have the thing, cartridge and pistol alike made to order. I have killed literally tons and truckloads of animals with service pistols and I have a fair idea what works and what doesn't and most importantly, something often forgotten in discussions of service-type pistols, what are the limitations of a handy, portable firearm that can be used one- or two-handed, from all angles and positions.

I like the P320. Can't say it is my favorite at least conceptually, but it isn't my least favorite, and so far, it has worked well.

Last edited by EVR; 02-16-18 at 08:05.
    Pope Pius X

Feedback Score
    Awesome pics and lifestyle! What 9mm load are you using?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast