Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SIG P320 in the Mountains

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    I've had (and seen others have) issues with DA revolvers while wearing heavy winter gloves; the gloves do not allow the trigger to reset, either by trapping glove material between the trigger and the trigger guard or by the glove simply being too thick to allow the trigger to travel all the way forward with the trigger finger inside the trigger guard.

IMO, the best cold weather handguns are traditional DA/SA Beretta 92s and full-size H&K USPs.
    No doubt, I have seen it as well. Typically, every winter, I’ll run a qual requiring the firing of the handgun with winter gloves for the experience. H&K LEM triggers perform fairly well as there is only a very small gap between the bottom of the trigger and the trigger guard. Personally, however, I rarely wear heavy gloves except when snowmobiling.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    No doubt, I have seen it as well. Typically, every winter, I’ll run a qual requiring the firing of the handgun with winter gloves for the experience. H&K LEM triggers perform fairly well as there is only a very small gap between the bottom of the trigger and the trigger guard. Personally, however, I rarely wear heavy gloves except when snowmobiling.

I've always wanted to test a HK.

I try to run as many scenarios as possible. Here's a pic from a run I did skiing past a plate and shooting strong handed as I passed. With a SIG P226. Looks like I'm stationary but if you look hard you can see the ski tips pushing snow. Gloves.

But from all my shooting, I'm with you, i try to dump them if at all possible. They are no advantage with pistols, that's for sure.

These are the few I salvaged from Photobucket from a course I cooked up {shown above}. The issue is this: I don't own a snowmobile, so my winters outdoors are all boots, snowshoes and skis. When I am out on a skitrek, my dogs are usually out in front, my buddy daughter farthest, he next and then me. Or he's in harness towing a pulk. Now dogs keep lion away but are magnets for wolves, and friends have lost dogs to wolves so I set up a deal whereby I'd start from 200 meters and ski sprint to a set of targets and draw and fire.

Since then I've cooked up line drawings of superimposed heads, pointy ears up = "Bad Guy" and floppy ears down = "Good Guy". The whole thing exposed some reality. These are hard to see the borders between BG and GG and also force me to judge the path of the bullet beyond the visible target, since a 9mm bullet is almost certain to give full penetration of a head or body of a wolf and do damage to my dog on the other side.

Lessons Learned:

1} Gloves are in the way no matter how well they fit. Take them off if at all possible.
    2} Since I'm breathing very hard BEFORE I might have to start the sprint to my dogs, I need to get VERY close before I'm confident of a shot. If a melee is occurring, a contact shot might be the only chance to stop it before my dog is dead or worse, I have to put him down. Dogs don't win wolf fights. My buddy is 105 lbs and from this type of activity since he was a pup, very heavily muscled and I've seen him pick up a coyote in his mouth and shake it like a soggy dishrag. But I am pretty sure he'd lose a fight with an 75 lb bitch wolf and would have absolutely no chance against a wolf that equaled his weight.
    3} From past experience shooting stock chasers, I wouldn't wait for a perfect kill shot. I'd take ANY shot I could get. Regardless of what piece of body the sights fall on. That's what a high capacity magazine is for. Anything to slow the animal down or gets its attention directed away from my dog would help.

Last edited by EVR; 01-10-18 at 20:50.
    I accept with sincere belief the doctrine of faith as handed down to us from the Apostles by the orthodox Fathers, always in the same sense and with the same interpretation.
    Pope Pius X

Feedback Score
    Great thread! Thank you for posting.

If I could just convince my wife to at least move 1/2 way up into the mountains. If we still have our health in retirement, perhaps I can pull it off then.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345