Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG P320 in the Mountains

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lonnie1120 View Post
    Awesome pics and lifestyle! What 9mm load are you using?
    Thanks.

I've used many different 9x19 loads over the years, with very little of it being factory ammo as I have a dillon press dedicated to 9mm. One factory load I loved was Fiocchi truncated cone HP. The stuff performed like a Nosler Partition, shedding the front HP portion and then leaving the shaft to penetrate deeply. Can't find the stuff anymore, but I carried it for a long time, nursing bunch of boxes of the stuff when I could get it.

A couple loads I have used over the years involved the Hornady 115 XTP and HAP bullets, the latter modified to open more readily both at 1300 fps loaded over Unique powder.

I'm currently using a 124 JHP from Everglades at 1174 fps {Universal powder} in the woods, along with 125 grain Mastercast hard truncated cone bullet at 1080 fps these velocities from my SIG SP2022. Probably a little faster in my 320.

We shoot a lot of different materials, and I've tested hundreds of rifle bullets in my testing media for some very good predictive results on game; water jugs and 1/2 inch plywood. Other stuff ranges the gamut from steel plate to helmets and steer skulls to carcasses to wood in many forms and Kevlar saw chaps and auto parts and whatever comes to mind. I even had the chance to shoot up an old house that we slated for demolition on the ranch here. Used a shotgun and found out a lot about how to tear up the ole living quarters with from #8's to heavy buckshot!

For many years I have used service pistols for killing butcher stock in the 40-250 pound class {goats and sheep} and have used them on steers, too and of course stockchasing dogs and coyotes and other varmints. Lots of different calibers on butcher stock; 7.62x25, .38 Special, .38 S&W, 9x19, .357 SIG, .45 ACP, as well as other calibers such as the .22 LR, .32 ACP, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 Colt. I've always wanted to try the 5.7 FN but have never sprung for one. I was a diehard .45 ACP in my young years until I really started using it in the stock corral and after lots of experimentation finally I went with the 9x19 and have stuck with it ever since. It sucks as well as the rest of them but it's cheaper to feed!

Here's a little test I put together over time.

Really start to dig into it and it is very interesting indeed. Some surprising results showed up. For example, the performance of the RWS 124 at 50 meters. And the 125 gr Mastercast Cast Lead bullet at 20 meters. That one had me scratching my head until I realized the shape of the bullet produces what the engineers call a "punch" which I suppose is what gives it its penetrative power. I like that bullet.

Also had some World War 2 loaded steelcased/steeljacketed .45 ACP that's on the plate as well.

I accept with sincere belief the doctrine of faith as handed down to us from the Apostles by the orthodox Fathers, always in the same sense and with the same interpretation.
    Pope Pius X

Feedback Score
    Man that looks miserable and the look on the dogs faces kinda proves it. But still pretty cool nonetheless. Nothing better then someone living their life how they want to live it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGGlock View Post
    Man that looks miserable and the look on the dogs faces kinda proves it. But still pretty cool nonetheless. Nothing better then someone living their life how they want to live it.
    You kiddin me??

He loves it!!

Well, except when he has to play reindeer! THIS is real misery....

I accept with sincere belief the doctrine of faith as handed down to us from the Apostles by the orthodox Fathers, always in the same sense and with the same interpretation.
    Pope Pius X

Feedback Score
    Yeah he ain’t liking the reindeer. My black lab loved the cold, hated it if I brought her in.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There's a lot to be said for flap holsters in the boondocks. The old 1911 GI holsters are good, as are the GI (Victory Model) flap holsters that work well for K frames. Bianchi's UM84 series for pistols and revolvers are pretty good. As are the GI shoulder holsters--in addition to 1911s and BHPs, they'll also fit some single actions. The most compact setup I know of is the UM84 compact size and a Glock 19. Very small, light, definitely secure.

An option for a lanyard loop is nice.

I'm partial to a DA revolver in extreme cold. Numb fingers and semi autos are a bad combination...I've shot in 30 below and it is brutal. A decent speed loader (Safariland Comp II) makes reloads possible--barely. EVERYTHING is harder--a lot harder--in cold weather. Having frozen my hands a couple of times up on the northern prairies doesn't help, either.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    There's a lot to be said for flap holsters in the boondocks. The old 1911 GI holsters are good, as are the GI (Victory Model) flap holsters that work well for K frames. Bianchi's UM84 series for pistols and revolvers are pretty good. As are the GI shoulder holsters--in addition to 1911s and BHPs, they'll also fit some single actions. The most compact setup I know of is the UM84 compact size and a Glock 19. Very small, light, definitely secure.

An option for a lanyard loop is nice.

I'm partial to a DA revolver in extreme cold. Numb fingers and semi autos are a bad combination...I've shot in 30 below and it is brutal. A decent speed loader (Safariland Comp II) makes reloads possible--barely. EVERYTHING is harder--a lot harder--in cold weather. Having frozen my hands a couple of times up on the northern prairies doesn't help, either.
    Interesting.

I do not like wheelguns in winter at all.

Really deep cold and the gun carried close to the body frosts up when used. Frost inside the chambers makes for reloading trouble and reloading itself is a pain, even with speedloaders. I carried revolvers for years and when I finally made the switch to semiautos never looked back. Semiautos are not without their trouble themselves, and I had a Tokarev literally freeze solid where I failed at getting the slide to open even after beating it against my boot and a tree. Finally got the hammer back and fired it which broke the slide free somewhat. No lube on guns in winter is BS. The right lube on guns in winter is the answer.

Here's a little test I did to see what numb hands would do in shooting. I need to do it again for a number of reasons, but it was an interesting "data point" if you could call it that.

I used a Ruger MKII .22 for an easy-shooting SA gun, and a SIG P250 for a long trigger pull 9mm that might put more emphasis on degradation of trigger control. {I was shooting this as part of my personal testing as to carry gun options}. Basically, ambient temp was 30 degrees F, water was just at 33. I stripped to the waist, stood around for a while to get chilly and my blood to my core, then I dunked my hands in the water for 15 seconds for each shot string. This was long enough, stripped to the waist to numb them up fast. Also, it was cumulative, as I didn't warm up between shot strings. The far right targets are the controls, shot while cold, but clothed, before the water test.

What doesn't show is the concentration. No question it required really bearing down to shoot.

Pope Pius X

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

SIG P320 in the Mountains

Where are you in Idaho? Must be north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by arptsprt; 07-21-20 at 12:01.

Feedback Score
    About 60 miles SE of CDA. These pix of the Numbhandshooting were taken a few years ago.

Right now we have snow and I've been skiing right form the house, but yesterday/today we had rain and in the valley here it's pretty thin. Have much more on the upper elevations of my ranch and it goes up from there.

Every year Back East gets hammered, we have a moderate/easy year. The opposite when we get dumped on.
    Pope Pius X

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

SIG P320 in the Mountains

Was in Boise until July 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by arptsprt; 07-21-20 at 12:01.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EVR View Post
    Interesting.

I do not like wheelguns in winter at all.

Really deep cold and the gun carried close to the body frosts up when used. Frost inside the chambers makes for reloading trouble and reloading itself is a pain, even with speedloaders. I carried revolvers for years and when I finally made the switch to semiautos never looked back. Semiautos are not without their trouble themselves, and I had a Tokarev literally freeze solid where I failed at getting the slide to open even after beating it against my boot and a tree. Finally got the hammer back and fired it which broke the slide free somewhat. No lube on guns in winter is BS. The right lube on guns in winter is the answer.

Here's a little test I did to see what numb hands would do in shooting. I need to do it again for a number of reasons, but it was an interesting "data point" if you could call it that.

I used a Ruger MKII .22 for an easy-shooting SA gun, and a SIG P250 for a long trigger pull 9mm that might put more emphasis on degradation of trigger control. {I was shooting this as part of my personal testing as to carry gun options}. Basically, ambient temp was 30 degrees F, water was just at 33. I stripped to the waist, stood around for a while to get chilly and my blood to my core, then I dunked my hands in the water for 15 seconds for each shot string. This was long enough, stripped to the waist to numb them up fast. Also, it was cumulative, as I didn't warm up between shot strings. The far right targets are the controls, shot while cold, but clothed, before the water test.

What doesn't show is the concentration. No question it required really bearing down to shoot.

Interesting. I am about sixty miles north of CDA and prefer to carry a revolver during the winter- specifically a 5” .500 S&W. This past season both mine and my hunting partner rifles (bolt action) froze shut overnight while my revolver worked fine. I also find a DA revolver pull to be simpler and easier to manipulate in cold weather, as mentioned by another poster.

ETA I carry my revolver either strong-side or across my chest and have not noticed “close to the body frost issues.”
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 01-07-18 at 23:47.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast