Thread: Buckshot Testing

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Buckshot Testing

No holes were covered with placement of boxes or writing or box-ends. Keep an eye to the edges as some pellets barely nipped the target. All grid is 1". Three shots were fired for each loading at 25 yards, and their actual velocities were recorded. Velocities were recorded at 1m from the muzzle, so as to provide accurate readings on the load of shot, rather than the further distances used for pistol and rifle. The test platform was a Benelli Super Nova Tactical, which has an 18.5" chrome-lined CYL/non-constricted bore.

The best and worst patterning loads were then fired for 1 shot each, at 15, and 35 yards, to show the difference 10 yards +- would make in the pattern. No velocities were recorded for this.

*No, there was no mix-up with the Remington ammunition and velocities. I dunno what to say. Blame Big Green's QA/QC. Weird.

Last edited by WS6; 01-01-18 at 13:00.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    this is fantastic stuff..Thank you for doing this. I was just out pattern testing my vang comped 870 barrel I just got back. Have to say unfortunately i couldnt have matched any of your patterns with the same ammo (le12700). I wanna try some 8 pellet stuff and some #1.
    my hornady loads didnt do as well as yours.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sevin8nin View Post
    this is fantastic stuff..Thank you for doing this. I was just out pattern testing my vang comped 870 barrel I just got back. Have to say unfortunately i couldnt have matched any of your patterns with the same ammo (le12700). I wanna try some 8 pellet stuff and some #1.
    my hornady loads didnt do as well as yours.
    What constriction choke, if any?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    factory remington 870 barrel with imp cyl choke and vang comp back boring.
    my other 870 with a vang comp barrel patterns tighter.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Flite control hates any kind of constriction.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    understood. Buty previous barrel was mod cyl choke. I traded it back for this one because i was convinced fhe choke wasnt helping me with flotecontrol. My other VCS'd barrel is a factoey imp cyl choke as well but for some reason tbis kne patterns worse than a standard shotgun.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    understood. Buty previous barrel was mod cyl choke. I traded it back for this one because i was convinced fhe choke wasnt helping me with flotecontrol. My other VCS'd barrel is a factoey imp cyl choke as well but for some reason tbis kne patterns worse than a standard shotgun.
    Shotguns have personality, that is for sure. For every constriction in choke I went down, the patterns held together 5 yards longer, when I tested FC 5 years ago out of a Benelli M4.

Also, Vang barrels have a long history of not liking FC.
    Last edited by WS6; 12-30-17 at 10:19.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Is the IC choke a screw in or integral?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Is the IC choke a screw in or integral?
    integral.

Here's two 25yd patterns with the same gun, just different barrel. An 18.5" Rem 870 with integral Mod Cyl choke and Vang Comp VCS.
    Federal LE12700

3" shoot-n-c stickers for reference

Many months and a long story went by and I got a different factory remington barrel. 18.5" Rem 870 with integral Imp Cyl choke and Vang Comp VCS.
    Same range, same ammo, same lot. 25yds

8" sticker for reference
    Hard to see but there's a flier like a good 8" off to the right

Tried some other stuff that night and didn't get anything any better. Closest was this Hornady Critical defense which I believe is an 8-pellet. Fired a slug and then aimed at the slug. 25yd

the other hole up to the right is the wadding from the Hornady.

I couldn't find any pictures of patterns from my other 870, but it's always done so well I've never worried about it. Everything from S&B buckshot to Flitecontrol stuff.

Old faithful

New hotness with wider patterns, at present