Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever use "speciality" 12 guage ammo?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have shot off at least 50 this summer and to be honest I did not clean my barrel much at all. I did have one go off inside the barrel. No problems that I could see.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    I haven't used any of the exotic rounds (dragons breath etc....) but I often train with tactical buck and slugs. My 130 pound girlfriend handles the 12Ga tactical loads with ease. kind of interesting watching when I mix in a magnum load! (c:

-Mike.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would not want to load any type of "special round" into a home self defence weapon because you never know what the emergency will be. Do I have to shuck out a shell because I have a flash bang in the chamber because the intruder isn't following the preplanned senerio?

To many things to remember when you wake up from a sound sleep and have to go into combat mode. A gun like that is made to kill bad guys, not play McGuiver.

Feedback Score
    you might want to consider what the lawyers will conclude about exotic ammo as home defence...3rd degree burns from Dragons breath, flechets all over, and four different kinds of shot might be a tough case for the defence even if the zombie crakheads attack

Feedback Score
    The only exotic I use is the low recoil 00 buck - much quicker for follow-up shots than reg 00.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Feedback Score

""Specialty Ammo"" test

A link to a forum where flechette ammunition was tested.
    Read from the beginning or skip to the ignominious end .

Bottom lined.....The military has LOTS of money to spend on ammunition, if flechettes were effective they'd be used. The fact that they aren't should speak volumes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 4thPointOfContact View Post
    A link to a forum where flechette ammunition was tested.
    Read from the beginning or skip to the ignominious end .

Bottom lined.....The military has LOTS of money to spend on ammunition, if flechettes were effective they'd be used. The fact that they aren't should speak volumes.
    Well, they DO suck from a shotgun, but flechette rounds from a 90mm or 106mm Recoiless Rifle were a WHOLE 'NUTHER SUBJECT!
    Last edited by Buckshot TX; 03-02-09 at 22:26.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had a friend shoot a Dragons breath out of his shotgun at a pile of trash with gas on it ,it had the "Man that's cool "factor But his barrel was nasty as hell after and seem to go down hill after his playing with a few of the speciality rounds I would stay away from them IMHO

Feedback Score
    at work we have some high velocity fin stabilized rockets from als. they were apparently designed as a lethal / less-lethal round for prisoner control from (USN seals?).

it has a hard white plastic cap with a small hole in the middle and flat edges, this is placed over the black rubber rocket. this is about as best i can
    describe it.

apparently if required for lethal use you can fire at the head and for less-lethal use at any fleshy part. we fire them at some blue plastic drums and they bounce off, but when we fired them at a hard plastic commercial trash can, they either go through it, crack it, or leave a nasty dent. all of this depending on range and angle.
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"

Feedback Score
    to quote a friend of mine:

"exotic shotgun shells are like exotic massages; at the end of the day you're paying top dollar just to get jerked off."
    TUEBOR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast