Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATACR, Vortex Razor, or??

Feedback Score

ATACR, Vortex Razor, or??

I'm moving my 2.5-10x32 NXS to one of my 16" AR's. If you were buying an optic to get as much range and accuracy from a 5.56 AR as possible, which would you chose? Im looking at the 4-16x42 f1 ATACR and 3-18 Razor. Should I be looking for higher magnification or is 16x enough? I'm sold on the tracking and ruggedness of the Nightforce. I've looked through both and they seem equal optically. I read that the Razors are a favorite with the prs crowd but is it as tough as the NF? Anybody have both? Anything better in the $2-2.5k range? Tracking and toughness are my main priorities. Possibility of a MWS later this year so I guess I need to consider max range for 308.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    While at a totally different budget, I have a Leupold Mark AR 3-12 on my Mk12mod1. It works great to hit small IDPA A zone steel at 700m.

I recently purchased a Bushnell DMRii (gen 2) 3.5-21 for my 6.5CM AR10 but I don’t have it yet. The retail is $1900, Amazon has it for $1400 and I got it for cheaper than that due to Mil/Leo discounts.

IMO: You don’t have to go crazy on an since you’re limited with the 5.56.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    US Army Infantry 2008-2012
    LEO 2012 - Current

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The 4-16 ATACR is simply excellent to say the least. If I didn’t have some NXS’s already filling that role, it is what I’d buy with your budget. That said, Bushnell Elite Tacticals are the best scopes I’ve ever bought (for the money) if you factor in the LE/MIL discounts. If you can afford the NF, though, it is an all-around better scope. For the record, I use Bushnell LRTSi’s and NF NXS’s and have time behind a friends ATACR. I find a maximum magnification of 15-18x just fine for .223 and .308.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Razor Gen 2 is too big and heavy for semi auto frames IMO. I went with the ATACR 4-16x F1 for my small frame DMR.

Feedback Score
    OrbitalE, The 4-16 ATACR doesn't look out of place on a gasser but if the razor is the better option, I'll deal with the size and weight.

Gunnerblue & ZoneOne, We have an older bushy elite tactical 3-12x44 and it's a darn good scope, especially for the price. The glass is on par with my NXS. The turrets aren't as good but it tracks perfect. It holds zero well. I was considering another but I keep reading complaints of inconsistent glass quality. Granted I read it in the Internet, lol, but it seems that you can order 2 identical models and image quality will vary. I can go pick up either the NF or Razor and inspect before buying.

This will probably be the last higher mag scope I buy for quite a while and I don't want to end up wishing I had gotten a higher mag range.

Feedback Score
    I'm doing 1000 yds with a Nightforce SHV 4-14. I have yet to hold it to 1 MOA, but can do 5 of 5 on a 18" plate. I have a NXS on a .308 (Rem 700, 26" barrel) and love it. I also have a couple of Vortex scopes (no Razor) and for price, they are good. I don't beat the shit out of it, but it's been used pretty hard. I'm a Nightforce fan. In my experience, 14 power has been enough for 5.56 past it's effective range.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGB View Post
    I'm doing 1000 yds with a Nightforce SHV 4-14. I have yet to hold it to 1 MOA, but can do 5 of 5 on a 18" plate. I have a NXS on a .308 (Rem 700, 26" barrel) and love it. I also have a couple of Vortex scopes (no Razor) and for price, they are good. I don't beat the shit out of it, but it's been used pretty hard. I'm a Nightforce fan. In my experience, 14 power has been enough for 5.56 past it's effective range.
    Do you have the SHV FFP F1?

I have the SHV F1 4-14 and find the reticle thicker than what I would like for precision work (but great for picking up UD pop-up targets quickly). OP requested "as much range and accuracy as possible" so I would not recommend the SHV F1. It's literally my only gripe with that optic.

I've never compared the NXS or ATACR side by side with my SHV. Would be curious to see if they're a bit thinner. They would almost have to be especially on the >20x optics.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-01-18 at 10:33.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    The MOAR reticle thickness in the ATACR is the same as the SHV, .150 moa. The vortex EBR-2C is .14 moa and has a .25 moa open center. These measurements are from each manufacturers sites. It seems I'd have to go up in magnification to get thinner reticles. The ATACR 5-25 reticle drops down to .125 moa. I don't mind some weight but I don't want it so heavy that it's a bench only gun. I should have been more specific in the op and stated "max range and accuracy while still usable in the field". Everything is a compromise it seems.

From what I've read, the 4-16 ATACR is the best fit for a small frame ar while competing favorably with other high end options with higher magnification and larger objectives. Im still a couple weeks away from a final decision so any other recommendations are welcome. I appreciate everyone's input and sharing of experience.
    Last edited by Jsp10477; 01-01-18 at 13:32.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Comparing the ATACR 4-16x42 with MIL-R reticle to the NXS 3.5-15 with MLR, the MLR is noticeably thinner when both scopes are maximum magnification. It is also in a SFP scope, which is also a consideration. I don’t see where you mention FFP as a requirement- have you looked at the SFP ATACR 4-16x50?

Feedback Score
    Euro, the SHV I was talking about is not the F1, it is second focal plane.
    Last edited by DGB; 02-12-18 at 21:42.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast