Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Adds Another 1911 to the Line

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    For a 1911 neophyte, are the Ruger's decent?
    I have one, the standard full size, 45acp, 5" stainless SR1911. And other than not liking ACT brand mags (but runs flawless on Factory Ruger, MecGar, Checkmate, CMC, and Metalform mags) has been GTG

And even with the said : "not liking ACT brand mags"....it's only been intermittent last round FTF with those and ONLY those mags. Sometimes it runs fine on those mags too. I don't loose any sleep over it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ww2farmer View Post
    I have one, the standard full size, 45acp, 5" stainless SR1911. And other than not liking ACT brand mags (but runs flawless on Factory Ruger, MecGar, Checkmate, CMC, and Metalform mags) has been GTG

And even with the said : "not liking ACT brand mags"....it's only been intermittent last round FTF with those and ONLY those mags. Sometimes it runs fine on those mags too. I don't loose any sleep over it.
    Given that everybody makes 1911's and 1911 magazines I don't think it's unusual for some pistols to not like some magazines. My Colt .38 super auto runs on Checkmate 10 rounders like your Ruger does with ACT mags; sometimes yes, sometimes no, but all failures have been with the Checkmate mags. Wilson, Tripp, MecGar, factory Colt are G2G. I can live with that.
    Last edited by 1986s4; 01-05-18 at 15:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Given that everybody makes 1911's and 1911 magazines I don't think it's unusual for some pistols to not like some magazines. My Colt .38 super auto runs on Checkmate 10 rounders like your Ruger does with ACT mags; sometimes yes, sometimes no, but all failures have been with the Checkmate mags. Wilson, Tripp, MecGar, factory Colt are G2G. I can live with that.
    Yeah...it's funny, my Colt (01911A1 WW2 repro) is not mag picky at all. A Rock Island GI I owned for a little bit, ran flawless on those ACT mags and CMC mags, but hated GI spec checkmates, and was iffy with Wilson 47D's. My Brother in laws Colt, is the most mag picky gun I have ever seen, It ONLY likes GI mags, and a good friends Springfield Range Officer, is exactly like my Ruger.....runs on everything, but occasionally hiccups with ACT mags. I guess it's just one of the "things" to be aware of in the 1911 world. And before any one says "Glocks/insert other pistol here, are not like that"................B.S. I have seen 100% reliable handguns with factory mags, that won't run well for some reason when another brand of magazine is added to the mix.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do the ACT mags still crack at the back of the feed lips? I always found that to be the case and quit using them years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
    For 1911's, I have to admit I prefer Colts. However, I think Ruger makes a good 1911 for the money.
    I think this is the crux of it. Good value for the dollar outlay. Decent feature set, good machining where it counts, decent aesthetics. Not DW, Wilson, Baer reliability or accuracy but good enough to actually work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Do the ACT mags still crack at the back of the feed lips? I always found that to be the case and quit using them years ago.

Mine have not, but I don't have a huge sample size (half a dozen), and at that, they are only a couple years old at best. But they don't see a ton of use either , since my Ruger doesn't like them very much, and I only shoot my Colt (which they run fine with) only a couple times a year.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post
    I think this is the crux of it. Good value for the dollar outlay. Decent feature set, good machining where it counts, decent aesthetics. Not DW, Wilson, Baer reliability or accuracy but good enough to actually work.
    I'll grant you that a rack grade gun such as the Ruger won't be as bench rest accurate but it'll realistically do anything other than win a bullseye match.

Why do you say the Ruger won't be reliable? 1911s can be a crap shoot from any maker but the Ruger seems to run as well as anything.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    This is a solid offering from Ruger. I’d be tempted to try one out, though I’m not a big Ruger fan. Their company seems to be turning around the past few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have absolutely zero need for a officer sized 9mm and a full size, bull barrel 9mm 1911.

But God almighty do I want. I see some horse trading in my near future.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've been fighting the urge to buy one of these. Has anyone given this pistol a good beating? I'm interested to learn how it holds up. Looks like a very nice weapon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast