Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SPR Loads....Crimp or no?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Thanks. You had asked me in another thread a while back about whether I crimped. Think I am going to get motivated to order a LFCD and give it a try.
    I think the reason it helps me is that I don't anneal. So the FCD gives some neck consistency improvement.

Sinister, another experienced loader here, does almost the opposite process that I use and gets great results. He anneals with no crimp if I remember correctly. So the FCD alone is only part of the total process.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I don’t anneal my brass either and use a light taper crimp on my .223/5.56. I have plenty of loads in bullet weights from 55gr to 77gr that can hold MOA or better for 10 shot groups. The crimp helps as markm says to provide consistent tension. I also suspect that in my AR’s the crimp helps maintain consistent seating depth where a non crimped round may experience bullet setback during feeding in a semi-auto. I don’t have any experience with .223/5.56 in a bolt gun, but my .308’s over the years, and my .280 Ackley don’t seem to benefit measurably from a crimp. However those all use the same lot and headstamp of brass, so there is more inherent consistency in neck tension than my mixed 5.56 brass. I’m also not cycling the rounds into the chamber as hard as an AR would over a barrel extension and feedramps with sharp edges etc.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I think the reason it helps me is that I don't anneal. So the FCD gives some neck consistency improvement.

Sinister, another experienced loader here, does almost the opposite process that I use and gets great results. He anneals with no crimp if I remember correctly. So the FCD alone is only part of the total process.
    I don't anneal 223 brass, only my 308 and 7mm brass for bolt guns. So basically crimping in lieu of annealing gives that consistency to neck tension. Makes sense.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    So basically crimping in lieu of annealing gives that consistency to neck tension. Makes sense.

Thanks.
    That's my guess. I tested the same loads with the crimp as the only variable, and the non crimped ammo wouldn't even hold MOA.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That's my guess. I tested the same loads with the crimp as the only variable, and the non crimped ammo wouldn't even hold MOA.
    So after a little testing with the Lee FCD, I'm seeing more consistent velocity, lower ES and group sizes. I consider myself converted. I shot my smallest 5 round group with the WOA barrel today. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I use a Lyman m die to expand and don’t crimp.

I’m not gonna play with it as my SPR load shoots really freaking good, but part of me wonders what crimping would do.

Interesting to see so many folks that do.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 02-11-18 at 21:24.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    What do you use for sizing and seating, out of curiosity?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I use a Lyman m die to expand and don’t crimp.

I’m not gonna play with it as my SPR load shoots really freaking good, but part of me wonders what crimping would do.

Interesting to see so many folks that do.
    Never hurts to do a side by side. The Lee die is cheap enough that you won't care if it doesn't work out. What I am now curious about is going back to some of my other loads that shoot well to see if I get a similar improvement.

Feedback Score
    If you google shot start pressure and crimping you will find a lot of discussion about crimping raising the shot start pressure and helping accuracy. Particularly with mixed brass and un-annealed brass. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    So after a little testing with the Lee FCD, I'm seeing more consistent velocity, lower ES and group sizes. I consider myself converted. I shot my smallest 5 round group with the WOA barrel today. Thanks.
    That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    If you google shot start pressure and crimping you will find a lot of discussion about crimping raising the shot start pressure and helping accuracy. Particularly with mixed brass and un-annealed brass. Good luck.
    Makes sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12