Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter coat recommendation

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Winter coat recommendation

Grew up in Oregon where I appreciated and collected good rain gear and cold weather gear that was comfortable in the woods. Now I live in Northwest Indiana where it gets bitter cold and heavy lake effect snow. Being a city dweller I am looking for a good cold weather parka that is more civilized looking than Woolrich or filson. Any insight?? Happy New year in 2018. -4 and 18" of snow...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Grew up in Oregon where I appreciated and collected good rain gear and cold weather gear that was comfortable in the woods. Now I live in Northwest Indiana where it gets bitter cold and heavy lake effect snow. Being a city dweller I am looking for a good cold weather parka that is more civilized looking than Woolrich or filson. Any insight?? Happy New year in 2018. -4 and 18" of snow...

Personally, always been happy with North Face stuff.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    North Face, Columbia, REI...all work well. For wearing around/not working outside, I mostly wear a Columbia down jacket. Very warm, very comfortable, easy to move around. I’ve been pleased with the Columbia Alpine Escape, even in these minus 20-25 below zero temps. For working outside, I like a nice rugged jacket, Duluth Trading. They tend to be warmer than Carrhart. For snowmobiling, well...that’s a separate category. For mountain biking in the snow, Gore Bikewear...and I’ll usually sweat that one out in 10 miles.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Didn't consider Duluth. Nice suggestion. I was looking at northface. Thinking about a 3:1 parka like my duck hunting Columbia.

Feedback Score
    How much are you willing to spend? One of the best you can buy for that kind of temp range is Canada Goose.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Probably $300

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    http://www.carhartt.com/products/Ext...uilt-Lined-C55
    Very wind/water resistant super warm and durable. When New very stiff must wash and dry a few times to loosen. I wear this coat Elk hunting at 10000 ft and in the Adirondacks at minus 30degress.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    I've had my North Face Yellowband Parka since 2011. I typically wear it December through February and store it in plastic the remainder of the year. I've had it dry cleaned once - pit sweat starts to stain the inside of the parka. Next to my Mystery Ranch 3 day assault pack this is one of those pieces of gear I've been extremely happy with.

You can't beat The North Face's warranty. If it breaks, you send it back and they repair or replace it for free. For real. Do it.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    I've had my North Face Yellowband Parka since 2011. I typically wear it December through February and store it in plastic the remainder of the year. I've had it dry cleaned once - pit sweat starts to stain the inside of the parka. Next to my Mystery Ranch 3 day assault pack this is one of those pieces of gear I've been extremely happy with.

You can't beat The North Face's warranty. If it breaks, you send it back and they repair or replace it for free. For real. Do it.
    I probably have 5-6 jackets from them of varying weights. I like their designs, materials used, quality of construction, and warranty. Not the cheapest, but yet to ever need to use the warranty due to quality of their product.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Check out this site for some recommendations...Outdoor Gear Lab is a pretty solid source of unbiased reviews and information, well-regarded by some of the outdoor industry folks.
    https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...-winter-jacket
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast