Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter coat recommendation

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Anything by Fjällräven. Not quite as popular here in the States but pretty well known in Europe. I recommend their Kyl parka.

On a side note, the pants they produce are phenomenal as well. They use a unique material which feels good and is very durable. I wear their Barrents Pro trousers often when training.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wife found a Fjallraven at a discounted price and hit the credit card. It looks warm at 800 fill. I think it is a keb. Find out in a week how well it does. -13 this morning. Not sure what the wind chill was...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Wife found a Fjallraven at a discounted price and hit the credit card. It looks warm at 800 fill. I think it is a keb. Find out in a week how well it does. -13 this morning. Not sure what the wind chill was...
    Right on. Let me know how it does. I don't think you'll be disappointed though...the Swedes know cold weather.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Fjallraven keb 81390 is the coat that my wife bought for me. I have a healthy appreciation of wool as my main cold winter coats have been filson and woolrich. I have been wearing the Fjallraven for the last couple of weeks and I am impressed by the light weight and amazing warmth. I have never owned a down jacket before. I am impressed. Best part? $200 shipped. The woman can shop...

Feedback Score
    Agree with the fjallraven recommendation, keep in mind the majority of their fabrics are cotton based, so consider either waterproofing with their wax or a different material depending on your local climate.

Other Scandinavian brands to consider are norrona and haglofs. As jonnyt said, they know cold weather
    "We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose" - Sir Carton de Wiert, VC

Feedback Score
    I was born and raised in NH, spent many years in MT and AK, and i always hated the typical big, bulky, hot winter parka. Consider a good water resistant, lined shell a bit larger than needed, and a good fleece vest/jacket layer to wear underneath. Some good gloves/mitts, a hat, and good footwear, and you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Layering is usually very good approach. I have several Gore-Tex shell jackets and combine those with fleece jackets or light down jackets frequently, but I’ve come to the conclusion that for colder winter weather an insulated winter parka is the better way.

Typical gore-tex shell jackets do not breathe very well in freezing cold weather, they typically do not have insulated hoods, and their waterproof properties are wasted since all rain is going to be snow anyway.

Down insulation is still the best for extreme arctic weather, but since down has so many ‘downsides’ (poor insulation when wet, jackets rarely have good ventilation, washing and especially drying is difficult), I nowadays prefer jackets with synthetic down insulation and integrated Gore Windstopper top layer. Those are practically as warm as their down counterparts, windstopper with good DWR can handle any rain you are likely to encounter, they are very breathable and have good ventilation zippers so they are comfortable in wide range of winter temperatures, and some jackets have a very good insulated and adjustable hood - which is an essential requirement for a good winter jacket.

There are many good jackets with these features, but Carinthia MIG 3.0 has so far been the best I have found. It is so good that I actually bought a second too: first was in my size, and it fits me well, but the second is one size larger so I can easily layer that fleece jacket (or a sweater and body armor) for static activities in extreme cold.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Grew up in Oregon where I appreciated and collected good rain gear and cold weather gear that was comfortable in the woods. Now I live in Northwest Indiana where it gets bitter cold and heavy lake effect snow. Being a city dweller I am looking for a good cold weather parka that is more civilized looking than Woolrich or filson. Any insight?? Happy New year in 2018. -4 and 18" of snow...
    I think Woolrich and Filson are really civilized. High end, high quality gear made in America. Do you mean more urban? North Face has a life time warranty that I've used a few time. They have a "tech" page with all the different fabrics that's really useful. I have a goose down jacket from them, works great. Got my gf a synthetic one that works for her too.
    Disclaimer: I make videos as a hobby and share them on YouTube.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I really do love my filson and woolrich coats. My girls don't really appreciate all of the patch jobs and scars on my filson from years in the woods. I personally love the smell of the oiled tin cloth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123