Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter coat recommendation

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bad aim View Post
    Check out this site for some recommendations...Outdoor Gear Lab is a pretty solid source of unbiased reviews and information, well-regarded by some of the outdoor industry folks.
    https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...-winter-jacket
    Interesting web site. $995 for a Canada Goose parka! Good lord! I've lived in Minnesota for 35 years. I've been snowmobiling in -60 degree weather (Tower, MN 1996). Right now it's -23 degrees outside. I can't imagine the need to pay $700 - $1000 for a winter coat.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I hear rave reviews on the kifaru lost park parka.

But i usually justvwatch sierratradingpost for deals. Snagged a north face down jacket for 50 bucks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Interesting web site. $995 for a Canada Goose parka! Good lord! I've lived in Minnesota for 35 years. I've been snowmobiling in -60 degree weather (Tower, MN 1996). Right now it's -23 degrees outside. I can't imagine the need to pay $700 - $1000 for a winter coat.
    Oh I know...Canada Goose is one of those brands that caters itself as "luxury", but their jackets really do perform incredibly well. Is it ~$500 better than a North Face? Mmm personally, I don't think so, but I do know that it's one of the first-grabbed items for those heading to Antarctica.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bad aim View Post
    Oh I know...Canada Goose is one of those brands that caters itself as "luxury", but their jackets really do perform incredibly well. Is it ~$500 better than a North Face? Mmm personally, I don't think so, but I do know that it's one of the first-grabbed items for those heading to Antarctica.
    Well, if I was headed to the Antarctic, I'd get in line. Locally, if I was a dedicated ice fisherman that couldn't afford a heated shelter and heading out onto the lake this morning, I'd have to consider it, but I hate fishing, so....

Last edited by Hmac; 01-01-18 at 10:55.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Columbia 3-in-1s (example) do fairly well, and I've seen them last decades.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm an arcteryx fan. It's expensive but I've been very impressed with the items I've purchased.

Eta: I've had good experience with Columbia 3 in 1 parkas also but arcteryx jackets fit me better as a tall and slim guy with long arms. The Columbia jackets I had to go to a tent sized body to get a long enough sleeve .
    Last edited by dmd08; 01-01-18 at 12:10.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lots of great suggestions. My wife likes North face. Probably look into their line. Seems like the best value out there. In a perfect world a guy could spend $1000 on an expedition grade parka. But not this close to Christmas.

Feedback Score
    Have you looked at Carinthia? They make cold weather gear that is good enough for polar expeditions. Carinthia HIG 3.0 (comfort temp -4) and ECIG 3.0 (-22) might be worth a look. I have several of their products and have been very happy with the performance.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For cost, packability, warmth balance I love Arcteryx Atom jackets. The LT (mid-weight) is great to about 32 and takes up very little room in a day pack. The AR (heavier-weight) is my no-joke, it's the middle of winter in New England jacket. The cost is relatively good, especially considering they are Arcteryx.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Sitka and First Lite are my go-to’s for cold weather gear, specifically for hunting and back packing. I live in the country, though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast