Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Never owned a suppressor, advise needed

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Never owned a suppressor, advise needed

I have never owned a suppressor but am looking at purchasing one this year. Basically need one for shooting 5.56 around my property and avoiding disturbing the wife or the neighbors. Ideally it would be something that could attach to the A2 flashhider (if possible?) so i can use it on multiple rifles and won't break the bank in terms of cost. It will be for recreational use so I really do not need a super expensive high speed low drag suppressor, just something that works and has a decent life expectancy. Suggestions and experience on model(s) to look at?
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    You really do not want to attach a suppressor to an A2 flash hider. Flash hiders were never machine to the tolerances of suppressor mounts

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    The Gemtech Halo is designed to be used with existing A2 / NATO flash hiders . However , my preference is either a dedicated quick attach system or a direct thread in order to ensure proper alignment and engagement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Although many dislike the mount, I run an AAC M4-2000. Its a decent can, priced right and I have had no issues on 18 inch gun down to my SBR.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I too need to get learned up on a first suppressor which I'd put on a Colt 6940. Suppressors are easy in FL, but still have to look into what hoops I have to jump through which frankly pisses me off. Nice to have a can but...interesting that the drop was only approx 30db from the Gemtech Halo. I suppose ammo choice and barrel length will have some impact on that? The cans I have shot in 5.56 seemed to me ears (subjectively) to reduce the decibels my more than 30, but no clue the brands and such. They were service weapons owned by other people.

Last edited by WillBrink; 01-01-18 at 11:50.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Nice to have a can but...interesting that the drop was only approx 30db from the Gemtech Halo. I suppose ammo choice and barrel length will have some impact on that? The cans I have shot in 5.56 seemed to me ears (subjectively) to reduce the decibels my more than 30, but no clue the brands and such.
    30db is a pretty significant drop. Decibels work on a graduated scale so, any increase of 3 decibels is twice as loud. This is why people care about seemingly small improvements of 3 or 4 decibels.

As for what to look for, you really need to decide what matter most to you: length, weight, suppression, and cost. You can't have all of them. That being said, there are several very good cans on the market that won't break the bank.

In terms of mounts, you will definitely want to decide what can you want and put those mounts in everything. The standard A2 just isn't a great mounting option. There are cans that will do it, but there is a reason most don't. I think you'd be happier picking something with a good QD and converting all your muzzle devices. It's a slight added cost, but worth it.

Silencer shop is a great place to start comparing models. MAC has some good videos out too reviewing different cans.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by UrHero View Post
    30db is a pretty significant drop. Decibels work on a graduated scale so, any increase of 3 decibels is twice as loud. This is why people care about seemingly small improvements of 3 or 4 decibels.

As for what to look for, you really need to decide what matter most to you: length, weight, suppression, and cost. You can't have all of them. That being said, there are several very good cans on the market that won't break the bank.

In terms of mounts, you will definitely want to decide what can you want and put those mounts in everything. The standard A2 just isn't a great mounting option. There are cans that will do it, but there is a reason most don't. I think you'd be happier picking something with a good QD and converting all your muzzle devices. It's a slight added cost, but worth it.

Silencer shop is a great place to start comparing models. MAC has some good videos out too reviewing different cans.

Like an earthquake that's a 7 vs a 6, sounds small, massive difference in effects. Rgr rgr, thanx.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Decibel is a logarithmic scale

Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you're dead set on the A2, Griffin Armament's M4SD line is designed to attach to the A2. I've only shot an M4SD and it seemed pretty well locked on when attach to the muzzle device.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
    Decibel is a logarithmic scale

That's the word I meant to use

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast