Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIG Romeo 6T: Operator Grade Optic or Range Toy?

Feedback Score

SIG Romeo 6T: Operator Grade Optic or Range Toy?

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/romeo6t-1x30-mm.html

I'm guessing this product is too new to have much data available on the optic's durability. I've read several reviews and most of them are just descriptive without any actual praise or criticism.

Anybody have any real-world experience with this optic? I'm liking the concept of a solar panel with capacitors as an alternative to battery power that requires changing batteries, or tritium power that requires changing the tritium eventually.

I know people will chime in with the durability and longevity of the power supply for Aimpoints and ACOGS: I get that. The TA33 ACOG is my "go-to" optic and I'm sold on the quality of Aimpoints as well.

I also allow for the possibility that by its very nature a "solar panel" on an optic is automatically introducing a fragile component to what is intended to be a combat optic.

Still, solar powered and a motion sensor that turns the unit on and off when needed are a couple of features that made me seriously interested in this optic.

What say you?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    "I also allow for the possibility that by its very nature a "solar panel" on an optic is automatically introducing a fragile component to what is intended to be a combat optic"

Especially if crushing the panel shorts the battery power. I'd stick to proven options.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    https://www.sigsauer.com/store/romeo6t-1x30-mm.html

I'm guessing this product is too new to have much data available on the optic's durability. I've read several reviews and most of them are just descriptive without any actual praise or criticism.

Anybody have any real-world experience with this optic? I'm liking the concept of a solar panel with capacitors as an alternative to battery power that requires changing batteries, or tritium power that requires changing the tritium eventually.

I know people will chime in with the durability and longevity of the power supply for Aimpoints and ACOGS: I get that. The TA33 ACOG is my "go-to" optic and I'm sold on the quality of Aimpoints as well.

I also allow for the possibility that by its very nature a "solar panel" on an optic is automatically introducing a fragile component to what is intended to be a combat optic.

Still, solar powered and a motion sensor that turns the unit on and off when needed are a couple of features that made me seriously interested in this optic.

What say you?
    This is 100% true. In fact, I know of a US military optic producer who extensively tested a solar design on one of their optics and they found the big weakness it created was in water resistance/submersion. It failed much sooner than one without it regardless of how they designed the system.

Now, that said, I think it's a non-issue for 95%+ of users out there but just food for thought.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I would consider the bulk of the SIG RDS's to be "hobby" grade.

C4

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Most of their RDS are made in China by the same provider as Holosun.

Considering how fast SIG discontinues / upgrades / drop optics, I don’ understand why any serious user would touch them.

Total pass.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    I tried a 4H and it was Problematic right out of the box.

I sent it back and got a refund. Now I know this doesn't mean that they are all bad and this is just a sample of one, but this made me not want to bother trying anything optic wise from them again, plus the fact the poster said above that they keep on dropping and upgrading their optics constantly tells me that Sig is still in the trial and error stage of optic development and manufacturing.

There are also so many other options out there that it doesn't seem worth it to me to take another chance with this company as far as optic go.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    This.

I do not understand why it is so difficult for folks to stick with proven designs.

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I would consider the bulk of the SIG RDS's to be "hobby" grade.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    This.

I do not understand why it is so difficult for folks to stick with proven designs.
    If Aimpoint or Trijicon would come out with an optic that has an unlimited illumination life, I'd be all over it.

I don't run red dots as a rule because I prefer non-electronic (i.e. not dependent on batteries) when it comes to optics. I run ACOGs, but also realize they have a limitation of the Tritium degrading.

I'm always looking for something that either bypasses or compensates for these two limitations.

(Iron sights are always "on").
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 01-19-18 at 11:21.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Still uses Tritium. I'd be down with an optic that uses a combination of Tritium, batteries, fiber optic, and unbreakable solar. That's how you can make your millions, Outlander: design and market that optic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast