Thread: Apex Gen 5 Trigger Enhancement Kit - Kind of a Review

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Apex Gen 5 Trigger Enhancement Kit - Kind of a Review

Posted this on the other site, but I like you guys better.

Installed an Apex Gen 5 "enhancement" kit in my Gen 5 19 last night and now I'm wondering what I spent $100 on. I actually wanted an Overwatch kit, but they weren't available on Brownells yet and I had a gift card, so...

First, the bottom of the trigger shoe rides maybe 1/8" above the inside of the trigger guard. I actually thought I'd installed something wrong, which after taking apart the new trigger mechanism seemed nearly impossible in retrospect, then I found a video on YouTube from a guy who installed one in his Gen 5 17 and noted how close it rides to the trigger guard. If that's how it's designed, okay, but it seems odd.

Next, I dry-fired it about 50 times. It seemed to smooth out a little, but I did not notice the pull being any lighter (advertised as -1 pound w/ Apex connector installed). Pre-travel reduced, perhaps, but the stock trigger was already better than previous Gens. Overall, I just wasn't very impressed with the new trigger pull and I'm struggling to figure out why I paid $100 for it. I won't have a chance to shoot it until this weekend, but unless that changes anything, I'll probably just put a factory "-" connector in it and call it good.

I also had the smaller beavertail grip installed prior to the Apex unit. I found that with the Apex trigger shoe's geometry, I had to swap the beavertail for the regular small backstrap to pull the trigger more comfortably.

Anyone else have one installed? If so, what are your thoughts?

Feedback Score

Just the trigger bar won’t lower pull weight, there optional connector will

I too thought the same at first, it was noticeably faster at steel plates with the shorter reset however...it smoothed up quite a bit with use

I think there using modified gen 4 bars but I can’t confirm

for what it’s worth I bought it because my 17 v5 had a sloppy trigger.. my 19 out of the box was way nicer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boombotz401 View Post
    Just the trigger bar won’t lower pull weight, there optional connector will

for what it’s worth I bought it because my 17 v5 had a sloppy trigger.. my 19 out of the box was way nicer

I installed the Apex connector with it, it just didn't feel like a 4.5-5lb trigger afterward. If I would've just used a "-" connector on the factory setup, I think I'd have been happy.

Feedback Score
    I’d like to know what you think with it...at some point I may take the - out of my 35 and try it

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Update - only had time to put 70 rounds through it the other day. Short version, I'm warming to it. The reset is noticeably shorter and the overall pull is slightly smoother. To me, there wasn't a discernible notice in trigger pull weight (this is with the Apex connector). I'm also really starting to like the flat face trigger (shoe), which I've never installed in a handgun before.

Feedback Score
    One can spend many dollars on aftermarket Glock trigger components in search of a different trigger pull.
    What I've used on several of my Glocks is the Kineti-Tech.com trigger shoe, which I then install onto my stock Glock trigger bar.
    http://www.kineti-tech.com/glock-triggers-1/

Removing the original Glock trigger shoe is generally thought of as a one-way operation, sometimes destroying the original trigger shoe.
    The part is only ~$50 delivered, but can also go up in cost if you want them to supply a polished Glock trigger bar with its shoe already installed.

I've not done this and Kineti-Tech didn't yet have Gen5 trigger bars, only the Gen5 shoes.

On a sidenote, only expect ~0.5 pound less trigger pull on a Gen5 (or Gen4) if substituting in a "Minus" connector, although that difference may be worth it to some folks.

I'll try to attach a photo next of my G17Gen5.
    The photo shows only one style of trigger shoe, but Kineti-Tech has four styles from which to choose.

Attachment 49683
    Last edited by L-2; 01-11-18 at 10:47.

Feedback Score
    FWIW

I’ve found the - connector on the gen 5 makes almost no difference in trigger weight and only removes most of the pretravel

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boombotz401 View Post
    FWIW

I’ve found the - connector on the gen 5 makes almost no difference in trigger weight and only removes most of the pretravel

That makes sense after shooting it. There is very little pre-travel, which helped my groups - I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to, so bad habits are manifesting, like anticipating the shot and the short travel with this trigger helps.

Feedback Score

I went back to the dot connector almost right away

No pretravel, staple like clack break with a long reset on the minus connector for me

Found the dot connector about perfect, just wanted it about a pound lighter

For some reason the gen 5 doesn’t react as well to modification as the other gens to me

Last edited by boombotz401; 01-11-18 at 11:46.