Thread: Recommendations for affordable hearing protection

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Recommendations for affordable hearing protection

I plan to start taking my sisters and their kids shooting. I was hoping to get recommendations for quality hearing protection since I'll be the one providing it for them. I need about 5 or so sets, so I would like to keep the price low ($20, maybe $30). They don't need to be electronic, but I would like them to last more the a few uses with the kids.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Howard Leight Impact Sports are frequently available for $35-$40 and are excellent for all ages, and if you're taking a bunch of kids out, believe me when I say that you DO want electronic hearing protection. Everyone being able to hear each other for clear instruction is of huge importance. They are affordable enough and upgradable so there's really no downside to buying these over some cheap Wal-Mart Radians or something. The extra $10-15 per pair is worth it just for the ease of communication, but may even help prevent an accident from happening.
    Last edited by 0uTkAsT; 01-03-18 at 14:55.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Those were actually what I was thinking, just wanted to know if there was anything other cheaper options. I don't mind spending more on them for the kids health and safety, but more options are always welcome.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AAMP84 View Post
    Those were actually what I was thinking, just wanted to know if there was anything other cheaper options. I don't mind spending more on them for the kids health and safety, but more options are always welcome.
    Walkers has a new(er) pair called the Razor that is getting good reviews but they're slightly more expensive than the very well proven Howard Leights and the NRR is 23 vs. 22 so in terms of actual protection there's no practical difference as far as I'm concerned. I don't have a pair to say for sure, but I have four pair of Impact Sports and they are excellent for the price paid and fit everyone pretty well all the way down to my 4-year-old, plus there are gel cups, cases, headbands and other upgrades that you can purchase separately whereas the others have virtually no aftermarket support. That may or may not influence your decision.

I will say, for anyone who finds over-the-ear muffs uncomfortable, a good set of gel cups can make all the difference. Having the ability to pick up a pair of upgraded cushions for someone with sensitive ears or bulky prescription eyewear might make life easier for you down the road.
    Last edited by 0uTkAsT; 01-03-18 at 16:03.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Best for the buck, I believe, are the Howard Leight Impact Sports. Also, check out these add ons:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...inte?ref=email
    Last edited by austinN4; 01-03-18 at 20:17.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've been using these for a few years with good results. I always put them on over a pair of earplugs. I'm able to hear range commands and conversations with no problems

https://www.menards.com/main/mainten...8268073&ipos=2

If I am shooting indoors with other people I ditch the electronic muffs and just use a 3m brand pair I got at Home Depot. The echo from shooting indoors seems to diminish the effectiveness of the electronic set
    Last edited by signal4l; 01-03-18 at 23:43.

Feedback Score
    The Howard Leight electronic muffs cost me $49. each and I got a deal on Brownells. I send four sets to me daughter, son-in-law, grandson and his wife. BUT if you are into budget solutions, I picked up a set of electronic muffs at Walmart for myself for $25. and they work great.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I really don't think you can find a better value on hearing protection than the Howard Leights.

Feedback Score
    I used to use the Howard Leights and while they functioned well, they seem made for people with large heads. Personally, I've found that Peltor products fit my noggin better.