Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Build Help

Feedback Score

First Build Help

I'm new here and looking to build my first ar15. I would like to build something very similar to the standard issue m4 that I was issued in the U.S. Army. I know it was made by Colt, but branding isn't that important to me as long as it's good quality and functional. I don't really have a budget but I would like my first build to be in the $600-$1000 range (not including optics). I've been looking around online and I'm honestly amazed and confused by the variety of options available. I don't even know where to start.

Could someone recommend a build or list what parts they'd choose?
    Last edited by mspeed06; 01-15-18 at 15:43.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Are you REALLY wanting to build? If not, buy this: http://www.gandrtactical.com/Colt-LE6920_p_235.html

I personally prefer BCM (Bravo Company Manufacturing) https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/. You're right, there are SO many options to choose from. Stay away from PSA (Palmetto State Armory). A lot of the recommendations are going to depend on what you intend to do with it too. Home defense? Long range shooting? Range toy?
    Last edited by officerX; 01-15-18 at 15:56.

Feedback Score
    I think so, I feel like I could build one very similar to that for a few hundred less. Also, I just realized I might of posted this question in the wrong section.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mspeed06 View Post
    I feel like I could build one very similar to that for a few hundred less.
    This is a trap. Don’t fall into it.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    And I'd like a quad rail, which I don't think they come with.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have built my 3 ARs and I strongly recommend buying a Colt 6920 in leiu of building. If you want an M4 style gun, but know you will change the grip, the stock, and the handguards, buy an OEM1; if you will will change these items but prefer a free floated handguard/rail, buy an OEM2.

Why buy instead of building? It's very hard to build a similar quality M4 for the same money, and resale will always be better on the Colt than a gun you build yourself.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-15-18 at 18:24.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mspeed06 View Post
    I think so, I feel like I could build one very similar to that for a few hundred less. Also, I just realized I might of posted this question in the wrong section.
    Unless you already have all the tools to build it's going to be cheaper to buy.

Do you want a front sight post or a low profile gas block to put a free float rail on?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    You can buy a quad rail, stock and trigger guard of your choosing and put on this: http://www.gandrtactical.com/Colt-LE...EM1_p_247.html

Feedback Score
    I have free access to all the tools I need so that's not a big deal, I also work in a machine shop. And yes, I think I'd like a front sight post.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

First Build Help

I personally have built quite a few ars but I recently decided to do the exact build you’re talking about and I opted to go with a colt 6920 and just changed the forend and stock. I personally think this is the better route to go. You may be able to build one a bit cheaper yourself but in my opinion it’s hard to beat a factory colt ar for this type of build.

If you have any questions shoot me a PM and I’ll shoot over some pictures of what I did to mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rfairman; 01-15-18 at 17:21.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast