Thread: How do I remove the 5.56 Galil Ace lower?

Feedback Score

How do I remove the 5.56 Galil Ace lower?

I have a 5.56x45 chambered Galil Ace that I need to get engraved before it becomes an SBR. Any idea how to do this. I removed the pistol grip screw and both the left and right selectors, but something's still holding it on. It looks like the lower would just rotate down from the receiver at its back and the front could be pulled out from the lower handguard, but the lower won't budge down at the rear. I can't see anything that's holding it in place. I've read about people removing them, but nobody has provided a how to. Any ideas?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Check up front. There is another screw that’s partly hidden under the hand guard where it butts up against the receiver cover. You can only see half of it.

H
    Last edited by halmbarte; 01-04-18 at 20:38.

Feedback Score
    I see that, but I can't get to it because I can't remove the handguard. There are a couple of allen head screws on opposite sides of the front of the handguard. I've cranked on them as hard as I can, but neither will budge. Don't know if they're lock tighted on, but I'm afraid I'll break something.

Feedback Score
    They are locktighted - use a T-handle non-ball end and give it a crank. It will come off. The .308 also has a couple small screws in front/ahead of the trigger - Check there too

Feedback Score
    I tried a T-handle, but they wouldn't budge. I'll have to get a 4mm socket and try it with a ratchet.

Feedback Score
    I was able to remove the two handguard screws using a 4mm socket. I was able to follow that by removing the screw in front of the magazine well that holds the front of the lower half in place.

Unfortunately, the lower still won't come loose. It feels stuck in the middle, but I can't see anything that's keeping it in place. Any ideas?

Feedback Score
    OK, for anyone who cares, I figured it out. There's a roll pin right above the magazine release that goes all the way from one side to the other. I couldn't see what it was doing internally, but figured that whatever it was doing didn't matter because it was below the bottom of the upper receiver. Well, that was wrong. It turns out that there are a couple of holes through a piece that is riveted below the receiver in the location that would have been the magazine catch for original Galil magazines. The holes line up with holes in the lower and a roll pin passes through them all. Once I tapped the roll pin out, the lower slid off the receiver.

BTW, I tried to insert an original Galil AK style magazine in the receiver. It will not insert because the receiver is machined smaller above the lowers magazine well. This is probably to prevent STANAG magazines from wobbling.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for letting us know about the hidden roll pin.

H

Feedback Score
    You're quite welcome. On a related note, I spoke with someone at IWI today. They're supposed to have Ace buttstock assemblies in their store sometime in February. It's excellent that they're coming through with them for us.