Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Time to change my gas rings?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Welcome. You probably don't NEED to change the gas rings as an AR will run with practically no gas rings for a period of time, but gas rings are cheap. So, if you feel like trying it, buy a couple sets of rings and replace them. The reason I say buy a couple sets is because they are cheap, and you might break or bend one on your first try. Then you'll also have spares. You can easily do it yourself with a little patience.

BTW - Nice rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Welcome. You probably don't NEED to change the gas rings as an AR will run with practically no gas rings for a period of time, but gas rings are cheap. So, if you feel like trying it, buy a couple sets of rings and replace them. The reason I say buy a couple sets is because they are cheap, and you might break or bend one on your first try. Then you'll also have spares. You can easily do it yourself with a little patience.

BTW - Nice rifle.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I picked up a couple at our local gunstore and went to my gunsmith and asked him to take a look. His assessment is the same as all the comments here: no need to change them out as they're still very much in good condition. so I have a big smile on my face.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What method did the gunsmith use to determine that the rings are fine?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza View Post
    Could just splurge, & spend the $3 to replace them; if in doubt.

Hahaha, best damn advise I got! i already did and went to my gunsmith after. Well to make a long story short, he said my gas rings are still very much in good condition and dont need to be replaced now. So I have a couple of sets extra. BTW I live in the Philippines and McFarland gas rings cost USD10 each set.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    What method did the gunsmith use to determine that the rings are fine?
    Standing method. Everyone here used that or suggested that to me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234