Thread: Buckshot patterning

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Buckshot patterning

WS6 did an informative thread recently showing not only his buckshot patterns with various loads but also their velocities. Very cool info. I popped in and whined about some recent patterns, but ultimately he inspired me to go out and do some patterning so tonight I did. Not wanting to step on his original thread I'm creating my own, but please go look at his as well:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ckshot-Testing

I used two guns for testing. A bit older Remington 870 Express (maybe 2007 or so) and a 2017 Remington 870P. Both guns have Remington factory barrels that were purchased directly from Vang Comp and both have Vang Comp's VCS treatment with ports. They are marked "IMP CYL" for fixed chokes.

The 870 Express we'll call "B" and the 870P will be "A" and targets will be marked accordingly.

Ammo for the test was as follows:
    1. Federal Premium LE133 00 low recoil buckshot, 8-pellet
    2. Federal Premium LE132 00 low recoil buckshot, 9-pellet
    3. Federal Premium LE127 00 full power buckshot, 9-pellet
    4. Hornady Critical Defense 00 full power buckshot, 8-pellet
    5. S&B full power 00 buckshot, 9-pellet
    6. S&B full power #1 buckshot, 15-pellet

Target distance was 25yd. One round was fired at each 3" shoot-n-c sticker and then after the initial outline, a second round was fired from each at the same spot save for #5 & #6 (S&B) as it was bad enough I didn't see a point in cluttering it up.

2nd rounds fired

2nd rounds fired

I goofed and only took a picture of A's first round. B's first and second round are mixed in together in the following photo

2nd rounds fired

You'll notice I wrote "7?" and "6?" inside the first round outlines. This is because those were all the pellets I could find...where did they go?

2nd rounds fired

In the end I confirmed for myself that my new shotgun (A) isn't really any worse than my old shotgun (B). Whatever my memory was of shredding fist sized holes at 25yds with "B" was obviously erroneous. But I did learn that not only is low-recoil ammo more fun to shoot, but it patterns tighter as well. Something to keep in mind.

Remember to pattern your shotgun(s) with your given choice of ammo. I was limited to only testing at 25yds at my range, but it would be beneficial to check 10yds and 15yds as well if you have the opportunity.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It looks likw your experience with Hornady Critical Defense mirrors my own. It seems very inconsistent. I noticed you have IC chokes. I wonder if the chokes aren’t somehow screwing with the wad.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    It looks likw your experience with Hornady Critical Defense mirrors my own. It seems very inconsistent. I noticed you have IC chokes. I wonder if the chokes aren’t somehow screwing with the wad.
    It's very choke sensitive. It patterns fine from my guns without chokes, terrible with any constriction at all.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    It's very choke sensitive. It patterns fine from my guns without chokes, terrible with any constriction at all.
    Probably soft lead.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 21:35.