Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Optics durability

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Ive carried optics for years on back country hunts and on duty in the northern Rockies. Nothing short of a hard drop or whack on vehicles or rocks has caused any shift in zero. If I were to smack a fixed iron that hard, I’d check for shift in zero as well. Buy optics and mounts known for robustness and proceed. FWIW, I’ve had great luck with Nightforce and Swarovski Z5/6 scopes, ACOGS and Aimpoints with Nightforce and Talley mounts.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I've been moving away from QD mounts due to the added weight and the fact that it's a feature I never utilize. My current recce setup has a Trijicon 1-8 in a Geissele mount and no BUS. I'm not worried about it.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I've been moving away from QD mounts due to the added weight and the fact that it's a feature I never utilize. My current recce setup has a Trijicon 1-8 in a Geissele mount and no BUS. I'm not worried about it.
    This is the information that I am seeking. What makes you comfortable with optic only? Is it the particular brand, first hand experience with the model? What garuntee do you have that assures that optic's reliability and durability? Please elaborate.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    This is the information that I am seeking. What makes you comfortable with optic only? Is it the particular brand, first hand experience with the model? What garuntee do you have that assures that optic's reliability and durability? Please elaborate.
    Really there is no guarantee that it won't fail, but that's true of any optic. It's even true of a lot of backup iron sights if you drop your gun on them.

When I put the optic on the rifle I used a non-QD Geissele mount and I don't carry a wrench or nut driver around in my pocket just in case the optic fails. I also didn't want to mess with offset irons. I have a quality optic in a quality mount all assembled and torqued properly. It could leave me high and dry tomorrow, but I'm really just not too worried about it.

Having said all that I do have BUS on my three other rifles. All Magpul MBUS Pros. One has an Aimpoint ACO which can cowitness. I don't really like Aimpoints though (astigmatism problems) and may end up replacing it with something else. One has a Vortex Spitfire 1x and this is the only one I currently have in a QD mount (ADM, the factory mount was total junk IMO). The other is a mini-recce in the works and doesn't have an optic on it yet. It will likely end up with a Nightforce NX8 also in a Geissele mount.

In the end it all comes down to what you are comfortable with. On that particular rifle I'm comfortable running it with only the optic. Later on, if I end up with another rifle, I may steal the set off the mini-recce and leave it optic only.

ETA: I should also point out that I would likely have BUS sights on this gun if it were my only rifle. As it is I have three complete ARs and another in the works. If an optic goes down I have other rifles to use.
    Last edited by SteveL; 01-06-18 at 22:33.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    The ACOGS and Aimpoints, are battle proven by guys on the wall. However, all my guns have BUIS, and always will. For RDS, my favorite is LMT front and back iron sights.

PB
    This is the camp where I hang my hat or spurs. I have 2 simple rules.
    1. All AR’s have iron sights.
    2. CQ purposed rifles with optics such as EOTech or Aimpoint have fixed front and rear sights (PRI or DD). Scoped rifles can have folding sights. (Troy or KAC) That’s how I was taught and it makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you for a great discussion!

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I look at it from an engineering failure modes analysis standpoint.

The more components in a system, the more opportunities there are for failure.

If you want to do what I did, look up some videos of what are in the "guts" of various optic out there. Look at the parts, what they are made out of and where they are in relation to other components.

Then use that information to determine if you feel that some alternative method of sighting is needed or not.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Optics durability

The battery for my Aimpoint on my HD gun keeps dying before I expect it to, so I will be putting a fixed front sight on that gun. Usually I run folding sights but that is starting to concern me. The only time I’d feel comfortable without irons is with a LPVO with an etched reticle. Durability really isn’t my concern so much as batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    This is the camp where I hang my hat or spurs. I have 2 simple rules.
    1. All AR’s have iron sights.
    2. CQ purposed rifles with optics such as EOTech or Aimpoint have fixed front and rear sights (PRI or DD). Scoped rifles can have folding sights. (Troy or KAC) That’s how I was taught and it makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    OK, with a scope, fixed front and KAC irons rear----my optic is crushed when I fall onto a rock. People are shooting at me. How long will it take to wrench that optic off with no tools or quick release mount? What do I do? What does your training say?

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    OK, with a scope, fixed front and KAC irons rear----my optic is crushed when I fall onto a rock. People are shooting at me. How long will it take to wrench that optic off with no tools or quick release mount? What do I do? What does your training say?
    A fall great enough to break your optic is more than enough to break some bones.

My training would have me seek cover and assess what the **** is going on. Quick OCOKA and make the call to break contact or not while determing just how ****ed I am.
    Last edited by GTF425; 01-07-18 at 14:21.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast