Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Optics durability

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't expect optics to reach the level of durability within my lifetime for BUIS to become unnecessary.

If a rifle is intended to be a life saving tool, then running an optic in a non-QD mount makes little sense.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    2 T-1's, 1 TA-44, 1 Trijicon Accupoint, 1 Nightforce 2.5-10X24, all have BUIS. That's just how I learned when I was carrying them every day, taking classes, and building them. Now if I built another I wouldn't worry about it but they have them now so why take a 40% loss on the back ups selling them. FWIW I've never had a catastrophic failure of a quality optic. The biggest issue over the years has been batteries. Now I just change them every new year.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    OK, with a scope, fixed front and KAC irons rear----my optic is crushed when I fall onto a rock. People are shooting at me. How long will it take to wrench that optic off with no tools or quick release mount? What do I do? What does your training say?
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    A fall great enough to break your optic is more than enough to break some bones.

My training would have me seek cover and assess what the **** is going on. Quick OCOKA and make the call to break contact or not while determing just how ****ed I am.
    Dr. Bullseye?

This. Followed by this. Far more qualified than I am to field this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A few years ago I had my SPRish rifle on a coffee table, standing up on the stock, leaning up against a wall. I was taking a photo. Don't ask. The rifle fell off the table and impacted the floor directly on the objective bell if the NF NSX 2.5-10x32. The scope was in a LaRue 104 mount. Took it to the range to check zero. Zero did not shift. I know it's only one example but I feel fairly confident in the optic/mount combo. My "fighting/SHTF/training gun has an Ainpoint in a LaRue mount and I trust it. Having said that, the rifle does have Troy BUIS on it. Cheep insurance.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    A few years ago I had my SPRish rifle on a coffee table, standing up on the stock, leaning up against a wall. I was taking a photo. Don't ask. The rifle fell off the table and impacted the floor directly on the objective bell if the NF NSX 2.5-10x32. The scope was in a LaRue 104 mount. Took it to the range to check zero. Zero did not shift. I know it's only one example but I feel fairly confident in the optic/mount combo. My "fighting/SHTF/training gun has an Ainpoint in a LaRue mount and I trust it. Having said that, the rifle does have Troy BUIS on it. Cheep insurance.
    So if you fell with your SPR and actually broke your NightForce then it’s pretty much like GTF said, you’d break a lot more than just your scope.

I have often wondered how many optics. CompM2-M4’s, ACOGs,S&B or NF etc scopes have been destroyed during combat. I don’t know but I’m not sure the number would lean to our favor, but like you said “cheap insurance”.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am sure there are some veterans on this site who have witnessed and experienced horrible situations and cirmcumstances that have taxed equipment and human existance. I recall seeing imagery of aimpoints and acogs with battle damage. Was the optic still usable? I don't know...

Feedback Score
    Well, let's see. I dropped my rifle with a TA33 ACOG attached onto a concrete porch from about waist height. Of course it landed right on the ACOG--one of the adjustment turrets. I've bumped it, knocked it against trees, had it slide off rocks, dropped it in sand when it wasn't mounted on the rifle, and in general have never babied it. Every once in a while I go, "OOPS! Bumped the ACOG again!"

It has never even changed its zero.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123