Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optics durability

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Optics durability

I find a fixed front sight with a rear sight comforting. The durability of a forged front sight is respectable. I have always wondered if we are entering an age where current generations of magnified optics, RDS optics, or others may have proven themselves sufficiently in hard military use. Many users here are running optics only carbines with no provision for readily accessible back up sights. When do you reach such a comfort level in your optics that lenses, electronics, and other internal parts will survive long term use?

Personally I have sent 2 reputable scopes in for repair. Granted I don't work for the military and I was surprised that the 2 scopes quite on me with normal use.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I've used a lot of scopes in the last 10 years, in a range of price/quality levels. I've had three that failed to function right out of the box - one high end, one mid-high and one middle range. Each one couldn't be zeroed and went back for a replacement. However, I have not had any optic fail on me after initially working. I know it happens to people, but so far it hasn't to me.

Oh, except the factory included mount on a supposedly mil quality optic... QRP2 on Aimpoint PRO. It wouldn't hold tight, and it failed during matches twice. This is a known issue from what I gather. You fix it by ditching the mount and getting something decent from ADM, Larue or Bobro. Mounts are very important. I still have my Aimpoint ML3 that I bought from Grant with an ADM mount. I sold my PROs because once you buy a new mount separately you're no better off than if you had started out buying an ML3 or H1/H2 with the mount you actually want.

I think the issue that some people fail to appreciate is fogging, rain, snow, and mud. You can have a $3000 awesome scope that never fails, but is unusable because the lenses aren't clear due to something on them. You can slightly reduce this risk by buying Bushnell Elites with Rainguard (which only helps you for liquid water, not mud), but otherwise, it's just an issue. IMHO this is why you should have a quick-release mount if your backups are conventional (including a forged FSB), or consider 45-degree offset BUIS. I say this, but I'm just a civilian and competitor, not someone with .mil experience. I'm interested to hear from those with military experience how often mud on lenses caused a problem.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I concur with you that the mount that the pro ships with is less than stellar. Mine loosened up many time. Took off the ratcheting knob and installed a well torqued nut. The witness mark that I scribed on the nut and mount reveal stability thus far.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    The PRO mount sucks. Pair it with a Scalarworks and you have a solid setup though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Timely thread for me---I plan on getting an American Industries quick detach mount for my Primary Arms 2.5 prism.

https://jet.com/product/detail/627bf...iABEgKiiPD_BwE

Any complaints or feedback with this particular QD mount?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've never put a "scope" to any sort of durability test. But I have an Aimpoint C3 in a wilcox mount that was knocked 12 moa out of zero from tipping over on tile in my house. I keep little faith in optics on fighting guns. They're a small fraction of the durability of A2 field sights.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    From my limited, non mil/LE experience, I've found that high quality optics and mounts are reliable enough to trust and cheap shit always breaks when I need it to work. YMMV, but I doubt it.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    12 moa is a significant shift! I have sent 2 leupold vx3 scopes back for repair. One with a fractured front lens and the other with damaged internal adjustments. The 510 wells so far hasn't broken the Leupold fixed 4x. I wonder how much of my internals have been broken by the recoil!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    12 moa is a significant shift!
    I never did figure out what gave. I rezeroed the aimpoint and it's been fine since.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The ACOGS and Aimpoints, are battle proven by guys on the wall. However, all my guns have BUIS, and always will. For RDS, my favorite is LMT front and back iron sights.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast