Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RDS on 7.62 ?

Feedback Score

RDS on 7.62 ?

Do any of you run a red dot on a 16”, 308? I’m an old (and weak) guy, and trying to keep the weight and compactness of a DD 5 as manageable as possible. I won’t be doing any 400 yd work with this carbine (I just WANTED it, ok, lol), and I know I’m sacrificing the carbines potential, but wondered if anyone here considers themselves GTG with a quality RDS on a similar rifle, as opposed to a compact scope.
    Thanks,
    Skip

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I see no issue with a RDS on a 308. I put one on mine from time to time

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It’s your rifle... go for it. I have had a RDS on more than one .308 at one time. Hits out to 300+ all day long.

T

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Skipper,,, You said "old"not me. Most of us old guys have problems with red dot sights for anything resembling precision shooting. I would try one before buying if at all possible. Having said that I still have one on my house gun.

Feedback Score
    I have a Vortex AR Spitfire on a 16" FAL and that has worked well for me.
    I'm an old guy, too. And my eyes have astigmatism.
    The etched glass reticle and prism of the AR Spitfire cause me less of a problem with red dot blooming and distortion than with other red dots.
    One important bonus to me is that the etched glass reticle shows without the illumination on.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    I have a Vortex AR Spitfire on a 16" FAL and that has worked well for me.
    I'm an old guy, too. And my eyes have astigmatism.
    The etched glass reticle and prism of the AR Spitfire cause me less of a problem with red dot blooming and distortion than with other red dots.
    One important bonus to me is that the etched glass reticle shows without the illumination on.
    The OP doesn't want a heavy setup. That's the problem with prism scopes. They are pigs. If he wants to take on a pound or a little less a Leupold 1X4 VXR patrol in an AP mount only weighs 2 oz more than your Spitfire and is a more versatile rig. Granted it does cost more.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    The OP doesn't want a heavy setup. That's the problem with prism scopes. They are pigs. If he wants to take on a pound or a little less a Leupold 1X4 VXR patrol in an AP mount only weighs 2 oz more than your Spitfire and is a more versatile rig. Granted it does cost more.
    The Vortex Spitfire AR LDM is talking about weighs 11.7 oz (including the integrated mount), that's almost exactly the same weight (11.6 oz) as the Aimpoint Pro LE with it's included mount.

Granted, an Aimpoint Micro would be lighter.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 01-06-18 at 20:01.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    The Vortex Spitfire AR LDM is talking about weighs 11.7 oz (including the integrated mount), that's almost exactly the same weight (11.6 oz) as the Aimpoint Pro LE with it's included mount.

Granted, an Aimpoint Micro would be lighter.
    You are correct. That is why I run a MRO in a Scalarwerks mount for a total weight of 5.5 ounces. Not trying to start an optic debate but the OP has stated he is weigh sensitive.

Feedback Score
    I have an Aimpoint Micro and with my astigmatism, the red dot is slightly distorted.
    So the Spitfire works better for me in that regard. Advantage Spitfire.
    The Spitfire etched reticle works if not illuminated. I also have presbyopia, so with my eyes the Spitfire works better than iron sights. Advantage Spitfire.
    Disregard those factors and look at weight, advantage Aimpoint micro.
    OP indicated he had some age on him, as do I, so calling out these old guy factors.
    Getting old sucks.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skipper49 View Post
    Do any of you run a red dot on a 16”, 308? I’m an old (and weak) guy, and trying to keep the weight and compactness of a DD 5 as manageable as possible. I won’t be doing any 400 yd work with this carbine (I just WANTED it, ok, lol), and I know I’m sacrificing the carbines potential, but wondered if anyone here considers themselves GTG with a quality RDS on a similar rifle, as opposed to a compact scope.
    Thanks,
    Skip
    I am thinking of doing the same thing and am in a similar situation. I want light weight primarily.

I have a Larue Predatar in .308 that I got for a steal that I have only sighted in the irons on. I hate to only put a red dot on it but then again, I had a M1A for years and it only had irons and I enjoyed shooting it.

The only thing is the test target on this thing is like a .25" group and I hate to "waste" something that shoots so good with just a red dot.

My current plan is to go with a T2 in a Scalar mount if nothing really great comes out at SHOT. I have been looking at LPVO and I have noticed that Leupold has discontinued several of their optics (VX6 Multi) and rumor has it they are coming out with some new stuff at SHOT.

If it is something reasonably light weight in the 1-6 ish range, I might go with that instead but otherwise, I am probably going with the T2/Scalar combo that I now have on my 6920. It is quite lightweight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast