Thread: Tikka T3x CTR vs Steyr Scout...

Feedback Score

Question Tikka T3x CTR vs Steyr Scout...

Hi all. I want a light weight (< 9 lb not including optics) bolt action rifle with the following features:

- picatinny rail to mount optics
    - threaded barrel for suppressor
    - ability to install bipod
    - for hunting and to engage targets out to 600 yards (max distance where I shoot) and may take to Gunsite
    - 7.62 NATO since I don’t reload

I’ve always wanted a Steyr scout just to have, and Steyr’s recent holiday sale was tempting. However, it lacks a true Picatinny rail, and I want the ability to swap out optics with my ARs if necessary. Do the Talley and Steyr weaver rings hold up well on the Scout?

The Tikka T3x CTR appeals to me as it meets my criteria. While not a true Scout rifle, I don’t think the lack of iron sights will be a big deal for me. I guess another option is to go full custom (GA Precision).

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Anyone?

Feedback Score
    I've got a Steyr Scout in .308. I think it's a decent rifle out to about 250-300 yds against 2 MOA or larger targets. It wears the Leupold 2.5x28 scout scope in QRW rings. I once tried to replace that with a conventionally mounted low power variable (Leup. 1.5-5x20 One inch)but found the rail lacked slots in the right places to allow this. Mine is an early model lacking the threaded muzzle; can't see hanging a suppressor off that very skinny barrel. Wish it had a true Picatinny rail from the rear of the receiver to the end of the handguards. Never having owned a Tikka, I think you'll be better off for your purposes with the Tikka.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My buddy had a Steyr and it too was a 2moa gun. My Riflesmith pin gauged it and said it was way overboard for any serious precision work. But if hunting inside 300 yards, it should be fine with 2 MOA.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    It sounds like I’ll be better off with the Tikka for what I want. If Tikka’s artic model had a flip up rear sight that would allow for use of a scope, I would buy that model instead of the CTR (or maybe I’ll just buy both ).

Seriously though, I think I’ll be fine without iron sights. I plan on mounting a Nightforce ATACR 4-16x50 mm scope with a Sphur mount. That set up should hold up just fine, and I don’t see the need for a FFP reticle or greater magnification at the ranges I’ll be shooting (< 600 yards).

Let me know if you guys have any other comments. Thanks for the input.

Feedback Score
    I have a Tikka T3X compact in .308, it has a 20" barrel, great trigger and super smooth action, the compact has a short stock with spacers to a normal length stock. Very accurate rifle, and with the stock spacer system if you go to heavy clothes or always wearing a pack you can remove spacers and still operate the gun. I mounted a 4x12 Redfield scope using DNZ scope mount system.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How are the plastic magazines of the Tikkas holding up over time?

And y'all should post pictures of yours.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    How are the plastic magazines of the Tikkas holding up over time?

And y'all should post pictures of yours.
    The CTR rifles use a metal detachable box mag similar to the one used by the Sako TRG 308 rifles. These mags look a lot like AI pattern metal mags and are similar in durability but they are expensive at about $150 each. I don't know if the factory stock for the CTR will work with AI pattern mags, but a lot of guys who buy the CTR for competition pretty quickly swap them over to a chassis of some sort, at least in part to allow the use of the cheaper AI pattern magazines.