Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting bigger while cutting fat - possible? Also - diet

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Why do people insist on making this always so crazy difficult?

Put more calaries into your pie hole than you burn, and you gain weight.
    Put less, you don't.

Easy.

But not easy.

Count your caloric intake every fn day, every f'n day, every f'n meal. Every f'n time you shove something into the pie hole.

Use this App: Lose it.

I did it this way. Have lost, so far, 75 pounds. I'm 56.

You can do it too.

Feedback Score
    Losing fat and gaining muscle is pretty tough to do without chemical assistance and you would likely be better off just focusing on one or the other. You could try Lyle McDonald’s Ultimate Diet 2.0 program, it’s made for people sub 15% and it is possible to gain and lose at the same time. That said, it’s not the simplest diet in the world and the workouts can be a beating but it definitely works when adhered to.

Seeing as you aren’t exactly on top of your diet I would go with a simpler approach where you count your calories and adjust as appropriate. People typically maintain their bodyweight at 14-16 calories per pound body weight. Since you seem to burn more I’d put you at the 16 calorie side of things. So if you want to lose weight I’d eat 250-500 calories below that number and try it for a few weeks and then see how it’s working. That should put you at around 0.5-1 lb weight loss per week and if you are off from that then you could adjust your calories as appropriate. For gaining weight just do the same but eat more and not less.

The other big thing is protein. Contrary to popular opinion you really need the protein more when you are losing weight than gaining. It might be overkill but when I’m cutting I eat at least 1g of protein per pound of body weight. If I’m gaining I shoot for 1g of protein for pound of lean body mass. I let my fats and carbs just kinda fall where they may, you might find you do better eating more of one than the other but in the end it probably won’t matter as far as body composition is concerned.

When you get to the lower body fat levels it’s harder to preserve muscle while losing fat and the protein combined with a lower caloric deficit and lifting weights can help that. Due to that, and since you are already pretty lean, you might try to not lose more than half a pound a week.

Use an app like MyFitnessPal and get a food scale if you don’t have one and it will make everything a lot easier but you still have to actually do it and stick to it. Track everything you eat and if you’re not sure use your best guess. You won’t be perfect but that’s no reason to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Another endorsement for the MyFitnessPal app.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post

And FYI, having low body fat % does not by any means equate to health. Put some real food in your body and lay off the fast food. That shit is doing things to your liver and blood vessels that you won't know about for years.
    +1.

Learn to cook. When you discover what actual flavor is, you'll realize how bland and shitty fast food actually is.

Feedback Score
    Ill also echo other with the “count everything”. You can nickel and dime a lot of caliries throughout the day.

I also found i was getting a lot less protien than i thought when i started weighing stuff. I was not even close.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is Will’s lane and I recommend you defer to him, but he may be slightly biased based on his client base. Trained athletes or even past athlete’s bodies respond differently than the normal Joe’s. You don’t strike me as a normal Joe and I would speculate your body is training adapted.

In my experience, you can “recomp” (lose fat while you gain muscle) if you’re a newbie to training with > 15% body fat and you do everything right. Once your body is training adapted and your BF < 15% it is next to impossible maintain muscle mass in a calorie deficit. Even if you run gear you will lose muscle at that level.

I made a plan in September 2017 and set the goal of maintaining lean body mass and dropping BF% through the end of June 2018.
    September LBM 194.63, BF% 12.8.
    January LBM 190.82, BF% 10.53.
    Note – there is no way in hell I’m actually 10.5 BF%. Eyeball test puts me more in the 15-18% range. Point is that my measuring tools are the same over time and I track my numbers and adjust my workouts and diet accordingly. It is easier to articulate, measure and track LBM and BF% than it is to say, “I want a diet and exercise plan that will make me look hot AF”.
    I think I can see the 2% BF reduction in the mirror but I’ve had that sumobitch lie to me in the past. So, I use real measurements I can track, log and react to. I have lost about 4 lbs. of LBM because I'm on a slight deficit. Did I mention I track stuff so I can make informed decisions?
    I’m 56 so I have a few more data points on myself than most of you babies out there. I’m a classic endomorph, ex-football lineman and I’m training adapted over 40 years.

I track and log everything; Workouts, food intake, BF %, weight, sleep, mood, bowl movements, number of wives, etc. OCD I know but I’ve had to overcome some challenges during my life and this is the only way I stay consistently on track. And I have staff to do the grunt work.

Notice I have not mentioned diet or workouts. I’m currently on a brand new super-secret diet and workout plan that combines intermittent quantum cord resistance training with buttered barbells that I’m not authorized to discuss. Ditto the sous vide unicorn and squirrel protein diet that I supplement with whole grain suppositories. I will offer details next month on a subscription basis that will include video clips of me and my rotund German masseuse. I’m taking bitcoin prepayments if any of you are interested. Except Firefly. He gets the program for free cause eloquent ‘redneck. StyerAug gets free videos of my masseuse as soon as someone on my staff can find a VHS player. I will give away a free box of the whole grain suppositories if you guys can vote a winner.

Jokes aside.
    Make a plan. Stick to said plan. Track your progress against your plan.
    Eat real food. Track and record your intake and quantify what works best for you.
    Lift, push and pull heavy stuff. Track and record your progress and quantify what works best for you.
    Fix your mind. Really. If you continue to ignore it you are destined to wander through life, do dumb chit and break everything you touch. If you’re active on this forum you have mental issues so get over it. Yes, I’m talking to you. Fix your brain, fix your life. Do this first and track on.
    “Beware unearned wisdom.” Jung

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It’s possible, I’ve done it. It’s also a slower process than doing a traditional bulk/cut. Your training experience will have a lot to do with it. Guys who have never trained seriously can recomp much easier. I did this and lost approx 30lbs while I gained about 5lbs muscle and got a lot stronger. After about a year it stopped and I had to go to a more traditional program to keep gaining. Even then my gains are slow and I put on about equal amounts of fat and muscle. But I’m almost 40 now and my body just doesn’t react like it used to.
    Men are not here to gain worldly comfort, they are here to strike a blow against evil and leave a mark on their world. ~Dennis Rainey

Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter. ~ Francis Chan

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Another endorsement for the MyFitnessPal app.
    Been using this with macros from my trainer (you have to pay for the Premium version to enter your own macros) with great success.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    +1.

Learn to cook. When you discover what actual flavor is, you'll realize how bland and shitty fast food actually is.
    +2. This was a great awakening for me
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Last cut I did, I lost 5% body fat while gaining nearly 3# lean body mass. This is supported by the measurements of my biceps and quads, which did not change, implying that the girth lost from fat, was made up for with a slight muscle gain, and a net neutral dimension shift occurred. I did lose several inches off my waistline, and a little off my chest, due to reduction of fat in the lat region.

Total elapsed time was 6 weeks.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast