Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Getting bigger while cutting fat - possible? Also - diet

Feedback Score
    Hey, you guys are free to keep on failing. Specific results are dependent on specific training. The OP wants a very specialized outcome as his body fat is already far below normal. Any doctor would question his goals. To succeed, he is going to be very uncomfortable. Diet alone will solve body weight issues but it won't solve body mass issues (fat body content). Cardio will do nothing, it is a waste of time unless you are an endurance athlete. If you don't want to listen to reason, so be it, I have no dog in this fight.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    The key to weight control is 90% diet. Forget exercise. You can stay home, eat all day long and get bigger (around the middle) or you can stop eating and lose fat---it will fly off with absolutely no food. But, to do what you want to do, get a little bigger and stronger while losing body fat, you have to do specific exercises. You must push your body beyond its hope of recovery. Of course you can only do this for short bursts or you will die of a heart attack. This is interval training. While in the over stressed mode, your body will burn fat. Since it was surplus, your body won't be so quick to call for it to be replaced. In other words it won't make you as hungry. Weight lifting or any resistance exercise has the opposite result, it makes you disproportionately hungry. That is why guys wanting to just gain weight lift weights.

There are many ways to achieve this now. The TV "P-90" type workouts, sprint-jog intervals, circuit training on a universal type machine, swimming sprints, etc. The important thing is to go deep into your reserves for much longer than makes you comfortable which is followed by rest or cool down training and then repeat. You should want to vomit after this or you are not working hard enough. And this is precisely why this type of training is so infrequently done by people. They are lazy, want to stay in their comfort zone and do what they have always done and hope to become lean, cut giants. If you have the will to do this, you will drop fat. Once the fat is off you can go back to whatever weightlifting routine makes you happy.
    You really shouldn’t be posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Hey, you guys are free to keep on failing. Specific results are dependent on specific training. The OP wants a very specialized outcome as his body fat is already far below normal. Any doctor would question his goals. To succeed, he is going to be very uncomfortable. Diet alone will solve body weight issues but it won't solve body mass issues (fat body content). Cardio will do nothing, it is a waste of time unless you are an endurance athlete. If you don't want to listen to reason, so be it, I have no dog in this fight.
    See previous post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    OP is 13.8%. His goal of 8 to 10 is very okay.
    Body composition is what you meant...not body mass.
    Cardio will help, as will weight lifting and other resistance. Diet will be king here. You really don't know what you don't know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    We had guys squatting over 500#, cleaning 385, etc. ...but they didn't get that way in a "box". I now control my programming and am far better off for it.
    I actually did gain a lot of strength during my CrossFit days. I had a max deadlift of 365 before and a max squat in the 350 range so it’s not like I was some newbie who hadn’t ever lifted before. Now if my goal was to gain strength I could have gotten a lot stronger doing a dedicated strength program, no doubt, but the “box” I went to had pretty decent programming.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I am an ectomorph. I’m currently at 13.8% body fat and I am achieving that on a diet of McDonalds, Burger King, and stuffed crust from Pizza Hut. I say this not to piss off all the big guys but just for informations sake.

I’d like to get that below 10%. Ideally 8. I know what kind of effort is required to get from 10 to 8, which is why my real goal is 10%. It’s a totally arbitrary number but I can get there and I want to be there.

However, I’d also like to grow. I have learned that nearly everything revolves around diet though. I am eating 3500 Cals a day (not hard when it’s McNuggets) based on my fitness pal and getting nowhere. Because it’s all junk.

I have no idea how to cook. I’ve had beer tonight so kinda drunk. But I’ve been working on this for a while and seen some progress but not as good as I should. So much misinformation.

I am good with working out. Let’s focus on diet.

Do I eat carbs? Stick to Paleo? Ketosis? Basically is my biggest question. How do I know what macros to follow or how many Calories to consume? I’m kind of shooting in the dark. The scale doesn’t help because if I’m gaining weight it could be muscle or fat.

My diet lately has consisted of:

Breakfast:
    3 scrambled eggs
    1 Apple & 2 Oranges & 1 Banana
    2 sausage patties
    6 sausage links (about 700 cals total)

10am Protein shake (24g w 110 cals) if I worked out that AM.

Lunch: grilled chicken or steak. Broccoli. Peas. Carrots. 500 cals. 54gr Protein. 15gr carbs.

Dinner: This is where I **** up. Usually 16-18oz of ground beef prepared as taco salad without taco shells. Maybe 600cals.

I eat the same meals every day except Saturday afternoons when I go get teriyaki chicken after Yoga.
    Damn you. If only I could maintain a lean body on a diet of fast food.... lol, I visit McDonalds and I instantly gain 5 lbs

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU View Post
    I actually did gain a lot of strength during my CrossFit days. I had a max deadlift of 365 before and a max squat in the 350 range so it’s not like I was some newbie who hadn’t ever lifted before. Now if my goal was to gain strength I could have gotten a lot stronger doing a dedicated strength program, no doubt, but the “box” I went to had pretty decent programming.
    Dunno if mine was decent or not because it's the only one I have been to, but I went in squatting 375, and a year later that's how I left. 4 months later, it was 405...all I know, is I am unaware of many actual bodybuilders who do CF, nor am I aware of any Olympic class power lifters who do CF. All I know who CF...are CF'ers. The fact that HOW many people tore a pec during the last games? has really just pushed me from the camp of "it didn't work for me" to "It's dumb as shit".
    Last edited by WS6; 01-27-18 at 17:45.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    And a very poor understanding of the topic to boot, so post less, learn more.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Dunno if mine was decent or not because it's the only one I have been to, but I went in squatting 375, and a year later that's how I left. 4 months later, it was 405...all I know, is I am unaware of many actual bodybuilders who do CF, nor am I aware of any Olympic class power lifters who do CF. All I know who CF...are CF'ers. The fact that HOW many people tore a pec during the last games? has really just pushed me from the camp of "it didn't work for me" to "It's dumb as shit".
    I will preface this with: I havent done "crossfit" and Im not huge or an expert...

but the name is "crossfit" not, "get bigfit" or "get strongfit". Crossfit would be a balance of strength and cardio, correct?
    Its not powerlifting, nor bodybuilding.

If you want strength - powerlift.
    If you want size - body build.
    If you want cardio - run
    If you want to improve both - crossfit?

This is half a question as its my understand at this point. I've been powerlifting for the last few months as Im small and weak- just so you know where Im coming from.

Edit - if you powerlift, and switch to CF, id expect either no progress or loss in Max capability, but an improvement in reps at intermediate weight.
    For someone just starting out, I could see CF as a good thing to get into. No matter what you do, form is #1.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-27-18 at 18:47.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I will preface this with: I havent done "crossfit" and Im not huge or an expert...

but the name is "crossfit" not, "get bigfit" or "get strongfit". Crossfit would be a balance of strength and cardio, correct?
    Its not powerlifting, nor bodybuilding.

If you want strength - powerlift.
    If you want size - body build.
    If you want cardio - run
    If you want to improve both - crossfit?

This is half a question as its my understand at this point. I've been powerlifting for the last few months as Im small and weak- just so you know where Im coming from.

Edit - if you powerlift, and switch to CF, id expect either no progress or loss in Max capability, but an improvement in reps at intermediate weight.
    For someone just starting out, I could see CF as a good thing to get into. No matter what you do, form is #1.
    Cf is terrible for a beginner imo. It's for advanced. I say this because you really really need to know yourself. Youn get tired. Form slips little by little. Injury results. You really need ton have a firm pulse on yourself.

As to cardio my 1 mile run times only dropped when...you said it! I began running. Same for my lifts and strength training.

Crossfit is a social occasion and support group , is my conclusion.

I myself am small and weak. Crossfit kept me there for one year longer.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast