Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barricade work with SBR or 16"?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

barricade work with SBR or 16"?

long time lurker, but first post here.

i have traditionally been more of a bolt gun guy, but i am going to be getting into 10k run n gun 2 gun matches this year. i have a few DDMK18 SBRs, but hardly ever shoot them, one is 4 years old still NIB. in fact, i am still working on my first case of 1000 rounds i bought 8 years ago.

so my question is would a 16" with a full length hand guard be better suited to barricade work vs a 10.5"? some people will reason that the sbr is handier getting in and out of position, which it is. my reasoning is putting the sbr on a barricade might make the the shooters body too close to the barricade, whereas the 16" full length hand guard can give the shooter more wiggle room. i would go test this out for myself, but it's too F-ing cold so i was kinda hoping someone here has some experience and insight. what lead me to think of this was watching people shoot off of a vtac wall in all of the different ports. the sbr might be kind of a pain in the ass.

i am not worried about the velocity loss at this time.

optic might be an acog 4x32 or i might get a 1-4/6/8x.

thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Target distance from barricade has some bearing.
    A 2-300 yd. target will be easier with a 14.5”/16” gun for me than 10.5”.
    I use a KAG just forward of center rail. I find a 9”/10” rail starts getting too short for solid barricade position.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Best way to find out is to go do it. I don't have problems, but I am not you. Lean a bit more if you are having issues with barricade distance. Also, a hand stop or fore grip helps too. Place your hand against the barricade and hook your thumb under the handguard for a bit more stability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Heel/palm pushing against barricade, thumb supports rail, index finger “C” grip works well for me.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I use the grip mentioned above. Set the grip on the barricade then get a good shooting position and secure the handguard with that grip. You can easily do it with a variety of handguard lengths. I’ve dont it with carbine length, mid length and 15” handguard. Good shooting position with a solid grip using the barricade for support. Don’t over think it.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    I was playing around just this week using a Vtac barricade , doing the 9 hole drill with my 9.5 inch 300 BO...It actually seemed easier

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i went to the range the other day and did some dry fire and live fire. i took my mk18 and my mpx pcc. i ran thru some drills in dry fire with both weapons. then for live fire i would simulate the 9" hand guard on the mpx and then move my vfg out and run the same drills with a longer hand guard. i definitely like the longer forend. a good friend of mine gave me a 12" hand guard to use for awhile until i get everything sorted out.

so here is a series of stupid questions...what i want to do is 12.5" barrel, but i don't think it'll work with a hand guard that measures 12.625.

the 14.5 barrels are mid length gas systems. from what i understand, that will give a softer recoil impulse over carbine. please correct me if i'm wrong.

can i order a 14.5 mid length and have it cut to 13ish", or just past the hand guard? is there a rule of thumb that dictates where the gas port is from the muzzle? people say that the 12.5s have a softer recoil impulse than the 10.5s, and the mid length gas systems are softer than the carbine. or should i order a 14.5" carbine and have it cut to just past the hand guard? i have no idea. i'm not really into ARs. i am more of a bolt gun and pistol guy.

how can i determine if i will be able to use the HG with a 12.5 barrel without having the barrel on hand? i need to get the barrel ordered asap. my first 10k run n gun is feb 3.

sorry for the moron questions. i know i'm kind of rambling, but i am not real sure where to start with my questions.

i was told to go with a 223 wylde, but i'm not finding any readily available 223 wylde barrels. any suggestions? i thought i saw somewhere that all of the bcm barrels are 223 wylde, but that web page shows 556nato.
    Last edited by corey4; 01-12-18 at 16:31.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You can find hand guards in the 11.5"wish range for 12.5 inch barrels. Hodge Wedgelock seems to be the leading candidate in that size. Check out OPDSource for in stock.

DO NOT cut a 14.5 mid length barrel down to 12.5. It relies on the barrel length to keep the gas system running. If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it. I can't comment on whether a 12.5 is softer feeling than a 10.5. Gas system is the same length.

BCM uses 5.56 nato spec chambers. I don't think you'll see much difference in performance from either.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Honestly.....

None of it really matters. Chopping barrels and playing with gas systems isn't gonna help your .22 projectile. I'd say run what you brung.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Honestly.....

None of it really matters. Chopping barrels and playing with gas systems isn't gonna help your .22 projectile. I'd say run what you brung.
    This. I guess i dont really know your or the targets/distance, but id be shocked if you could attribute a miss to the hardware, assuming you have quality stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast