Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, about storing ammo......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Everything I’ve read, leads me to believe, that fluctuations are the worst thing for ammo. Be it, temperature or humidity. From reading the OP, I would say store it somewhere else. I keep my stash stacked deep in a closet. Thermostat set at 70 degrees. But, truth be told, you’re probably going to have to have your great grand children post on M4C how the ammo did after all those years, once we’re all long and dead lol.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by twm134 View Post
    How are you people keeping ammo for any length of time? Ammo to me is like whiskey to an alcoholic; never around for any length of time.
    Stash ammo in cans never gets touched in my house. I just load ammo to shoot.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Everyone has their way of storing ammo and their philosophy about how much extra to keep around. I'm in Commiefornia where we just lost our right to buy ammo unless the State sanctions it. Knowing this was coming I have been stacking extra for years. I keep it mainly in ammo cans with three or four medium sized desiccant packs per box.

Unused (or maybe carefully used) paint cans are another way to store ammo. I buy unused gallon paint cans at the hardware store. These work great for loose rounds and I can get about 325 rounds of 5.56 in a gallon can lined with a plastic bag and a couple of desiccant packs. Make sure to paint the outside for cammo and because the cans can rust. Stack em with your paint.

Only buy mil-spec or sealed ammunition (sealant primers, and projectiles) if you want it to last the maximum amount of time. However, I had .223 reloads I got from my dad that were bought in 1977 and shot up until 2012. They were not mil-spec and they were never in a sealed can, but shot perfectly despite their age and handling.

I used to keep all ammo in the garage, but finally moved most of it indoors since I have such a large investment now.

Lastly, the only problem I've had with unsealed boxes is that the cheap cardboard boxes can absorb moisture and corrode brass and copper that comes into contact over a period of years.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 01-10-18 at 14:53.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Stash ammo in cans never gets touched in my house. I just load ammo to shoot.
    I do the same thing...mostly. Load what I shoot and try not to touch what's stashed, but I haven't been able to stash any ammo long enough to worry about it not lasting. I've shot stuff that was fifty years old, not stored in any special way and it still worked fine. So I'm thinking my 5-10 year old stuff sealed in cans will be fine for the rest of my life.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I have a dehumidifier running in the laundry room/gun workbench area just outside the fruit cellar/safe. In the summer the fruit cellar will get a little bit more humid than the rest of the basement...
    This isn't good enough. Spend $8.00 and buy a hygrometer and collect some real data.

40-60% humidity is good and normal. 60-70% is marginal. Anything over 70% is a problem.

FWIW, I'm in the Pacific Northwest, basically rain forest. I store my ammo in file cabinets in my home office (conditioned space). My reloading set-up is in my insulated garage, and I run a couple big 70-pint dehumidifiers out there, as needed (it's 1,200 sq-ft.). At 70% or more, stuff starts sweating.

For all the guys storing ammo in cans long term, I assume they're using dessicant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12