Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand - I think I overpaid.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

M1 Garand - I think I overpaid.

Picked up a 1941 SA M1 Garand. My very first - I’ve wanted one of these for probably 20 years.

Original owner was an older guy in his 80s. Used to shoot it a lot but lost interest and was put in touch with him through a mutual friend.

I got the rifle, a sling, the buttstock cleaning kit, 1,168 rounds of US M2 Surplus ammo on bandoliers and in M1 clips for $800.

I’ve already shot it and zeroed it and banged steel at 300 yards with it. Shoots great. I doubt I’ll ever shoot 500 rounds through this rifle but it’s so beautiful.

Attachment 49641
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Very Nice!!

Overpaid......ha ha ha. Around here, they start at $1,000 with no accessories. One that avoided the overhaul depot would easily fetch over $2,000.

I still need to get another.
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-07-18 at 21:52.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You did not over pay. Please don't post any videos dropping it, throwing it, or driving over it into the mud, swamp, or sand.

Feedback Score
    If it's all original, with matching serial numbers and correct parts, instead of a depot rebuild franken-gun, then I don't think you overpaid at all. it's a piece of history. Embrace the "ping!" and enjoy.
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascally View Post
    If it's all original, with matching serial numbers and correct parts, instead of a depot rebuild franken-gun, then I don't think you overpaid at all. it's a piece of history. Embrace the "ping!" and enjoy.
    How much are you paying for 1,000 rounds of .30-06 and a depot rebuild Franken-gun?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Every red blooded American male needs a M1 Garand. You got a good deal. You picked up about $500 worth of M2 ammunition at today's prices. You did not get hurt at all.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    How much are you paying for 1,000 rounds of .30-06 and a depot rebuild Franken-gun?
    A lot more than $800.

Mine - just the rifle - cost me $730, from the CMP. I've regularly seen Garands locally and online is worse condition go for more. Much more. And 1000 rounds of S&B cloned M2 ball ammo would run about $800. Almost $700 for 1000 rounds of PPU cloned M2 ball ammo.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    You did just fine on the price.

And the first time you shot it, you were giggling like a little schoolgirl, right? I sure as hell was when I shot a Garand for the first time. They really are a ton of fun.

Enjoy the hell out of it.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    You straight stole it. You should go back and give that old man some more money! JK. I've been meaning to pick one up from the CMP. I think I would shoot a Garand more than my 2x M1As that are collecting dust!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Rhe old gent passed on a favor to you in the form if a proven Garand and ammo at less than the cost of the rifle from CMP or market. The best return favor you can give us care for it and enjoy shooting it. And maybe some pass it in to appreciative family or another younger shooter at an affordable price.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast