Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand - I think I overpaid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    One more video of cool kids playing with the Coolest, Most Americanest Rifle Evar:
    Which was...

...designed by a Canadian.

‘Murca

Quote Originally Posted by jaholder View Post
    I've seen it done, but I don't recommend it at all.

.270 uses powders that burn way too slow than what the garand gas system was designed for. In order to prevent breaking your op rod, you'd have to pretty much forego using any factory ammo and reload using medium burn rate powders, decreasing performance 100-200 fps.
    The .30-06 M2 ammo is also about 200 FPS slower than what the cartridge is capable of. Most off the shelf ‘06 ammo is loaded down to be safe in the older rifles.

The .270 and the high BC bullets would still outperform the ole ‘06 with less recoil of that is what a guy is after though I don’t see a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shiv View Post
    The .30-06 M2 ammo is also about 200 FPS slower than what the cartridge is capable of. Most off the shelf ‘06 ammo is loaded down to be safe in the older rifles.

The .270 and the high BC bullets would still outperform the ole ‘06 with less recoil of that is what a guy is after though I don’t see a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Then you could mount a rail with RDS and WML, right?

Or is that not what the cool kids are up to?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Son, all I've ever asked of my M4Cers is that they obey my orders as they would the Word of God. We are here to help the Canadians, because inside every Canuck there is an American trying to get out. It's a hardball world, son. We've gotta keep our heads until this peace craze blows over.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shiv View Post
    Which was...

...designed by a Canadian.

‘Murca
    Is Quebec part of Canada? I forget.

Jean Garand moved to the US when he was 10 or 11. It was in the US where he learned to speak English and therefore became capable of grasping the best means of human expression yet devised.

Last edited by MountainRaven; 01-16-18 at 14:03.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is Quebec part of Canada? I forget.

Jean Garand moved to the US when he was 10 or 11. It was in the US where he learned to speak English and therefore became capable of grasping the best means of human expression yet devised.

Like I said, inside every Canadian is an American trying to get out and learn how to pronounce ab-OUT and SAH-ree.

Feedback Score
    I'd feel badly about ripping off an octogenarian like that, paying half what it's worth. Super nice gun and extras and super nice deal for you but not for the old gentleman.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just received my second field grade M1 from CMP. Better than expected muzzle and throat errosion numbers. Stock is in appropriate condition. $630 no sales tax and free shipping in new hard case is a great deal. I doubt Eurodriver would want to trade though...
    Last edited by Krazykarl; 01-16-18 at 17:59.

Feedback Score
    Congrats on the purchase.

I have always felt the two "must have" long guns in my rotation are my Garand and a quality AR carbine. The rest is gravy.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HackerF15E View Post
    There is only one place on a Garand that has a serial number, so there's no second one to "match" it with.

Unless he took it out of the wrapping, it is also highly unlikely that it is "all original". Closest he could hope for is a CMP Correct grade, in which the manufacturers and drawing numbers and heat lots of the parts, and the date of the barrel, all are correct for the timeframe the receiver was made. Many of the CMP Corrects and Collectors probably have the same parts that they left the manufacturer with, but there's no way to ever verify that.

Certainly an issued GI rifle won't have anything close to those original parts, for a wide variety of reasons.
    One more video of cool kids playing with the Coolest, Most Americanest Rifle Evar:

Oh yea,,you did VERY good !!! I agree there is only one Serial number but through research and such you can find out how many parts and pieces are "correct" for that year and make of rifle, most parts have numbers or markings on them, they mite not be original but could be right for that year rifle. It takes some time and effort but worth it in the long run if for nothing more than piece of mind in knowing what you have. Check this place out,type your serial number in and see what ya get. http://usriflecal30m1.com/Default.aspx I wouldn't take everything as gospel here but it will get you in the ball part,,grab Scott Duff's Book on the M1 and there will be tons of info in there also,,something to pass away the long Winter months,,,,LOL Yea love the Vid above Garand Thumb has some good vids and he does the M1 justice in the short vid ! I will say I have used a M1 in more than one 3 gun match and other casual shooting events where I get my butt kicked by younger/faster AR shooting guys and I'm fine with that,,but at the end of the day they all come over and ask about it and want to handle my Old War Horse ! Enjoy your rifle !!
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 01-17-18 at 13:19.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I find this fitting for this thread.

If split crotch panties are what it takes to get your wife to exercise, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast